import groups

import groups

by Nancy Evans -
Number of replies: 8

I am trying to help a faculty member load a large amount of students to Moodle groups. I cannot figure out if or how to use the import groups feature in the groups tool. The sample csv file information does not show how you would add the names or email of the students.

If this feature is not for importing students into groups what is it for??????

Upload users is NOT am option for us in our instance!!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nancy Evans

Re: import groups

by Paula Clough -

Hello Nancy,

The import group feature is to import the groups themselves, not populate the students who are in those groups. 

If your group members are fairly randomly selected or selected based on alphabetic order and if the groups have not been set up yet and if you can use a group naming which is simple and sequential such as Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, etc. you can auto create your groups and have the system  assign so many users to each group. That is the only other way I know to drop your users into groups without using the upload users function.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Paul Young -

Why is there no way to easily organise students on a course into groups (Teams) for assignment submission.  I have to allocate 25 teams for the activity I am doing with my students in one Moodle course and it seems that the only way to do this involves several hundred mouse clicks ... time consuming and not very user friendly.  Why is a user upload required to allocate a student to a group for a single activity within a course.  There must be a different solution, and maybe "Teams" need tobe invented.

In reply to Paul Young

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Upload_users

but I think you need to be an admint to use that.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paul Young -

I am not a moodle administrator, just a user. I am the lecturer on the course and can edit it.

The users are already in the system and have been active on the course for 6 weeks now.  I want them in teams for a particular activity, and have organised the teams according to the competencies of the participants.  Having selected my teams (using Excel to sort out the different combinations) I wanted to upload the team members into the different groups.  I have just finished an hour of dragging and dropping team names on the "create group" and then going into the sub-page and selecting the three students for each team from the list of 75 students on the course.

Surely other teachers (not administrators) would like to be able to organise their students into groups easily.  I don't understand why the assignment of a student to a group should only be available at registration of the student on the course (this is done by an administrator at the start of the academic year in October, with updates from our student records system)

In reply to Paul Young

by Derek Chirnside -

I've just had a quick look on the tracker, nothing there and no requests for such a feature that I can find.  eg https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-15663

I'd surmise that some have wanted this but not enough to ask for it in the tracker.  I can appropriate that having gone to the trouble of planning this properly with a spreadsheet it is frustrating to have to do it manually.

You have options.

1. As Tim said: create CSV and ask your administrators to do it.  They may even give you permissions to do it; create a new role.
  2. Hire a student and pay them to do it.

Not what you wanted to hear I'm afraid.  That's why some people (like Rick) run their own Moodle servers.  #$@@!!((*

-Derek

In reply to Paul Young

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Paul Young

Have you looked at the Group self-selection additional plugin ?

In reply to Germán Valero

by Paul Young -

@Germán Valero

Yes I have, and this doesn't help. The groups are not self selecting, the students are already enrolled on the course and have submitted work for other assignments.