A Student Learning Journal - Intercative Assessable Downloadable

A Student Learning Journal - Intercative Assessable Downloadable

by Bruce Gregor -
Number of replies: 6

Hello all

I have looked around for guidance on this without success. Hope someone might help.

I am building a new Moodle Site in MoodleCloud Boost- so 3.2 capabilities are desirable

I wish to have a continuous learning journal which students can be prompted to update seemlessly as they progress through topics.  My (ideal) requirements are as follows:

1. I want each entry to be word count limited.

2. I want each entry to be assessable (as an option).

3. I want quiz results to appear in the journal.

4. I want them to be able to download the Journal after they have finished with the whole course and be able to use this as credible evidence of what they have gained from doing the online course. (nice format would be nice!)

5. I would like each entry to be date time stamped when last edited.

6. I would like editing of each entry to be closed off when (and if) an assessment has been made.

7. My learning objective is for this Journal be reflective and evidence of curiosity sparked by the topics and student perceptions recorded before and after completing each topic.

Does something close to this exist? 

Is there an online tutorial/course in how to do it?

Here's hoping!

Bruceatozedem

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruce Gregor

Re: A Student Learning Journal - Intercative Assessable Downloadable

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is not possible in standard Moodle, and your MoodleCloud site does't allow you to install plugins. (There is a journal module which goes part of the way to doing what you want but it is a contributed plugin, not standard.)

You can set up several assignments as online text assignments -these are assessable and can have a word count. Of the workarounds, I suggest this one might best fit your needs. See the documentation on Assignment. If you enable the advanced feature of Portfolios then students can download these to an external space such as Google drive or simply as a file download, html website etc.

Alternatively you can use a forum which also has a wordcount and can be rated by the teacher,

Both these options have the time the student did the work.

You can give them individual wikis which they can add to a bit like a blog -but these cannot easily be graded.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bruce Gregor -

Progress with the Assignment suggestion.

I have experimented with the Assignment Suggestion for a Learning Journal...looks good so far.

I have done the following settings for Assignment:

1. Not require students to click Submit (stays open for student edit until Teacher Grades - would be a one week warning on Grading Commence)

2. Notify Students when Graded

3. Word Limit 2000

4. Set up a Tag Block with Assignment Link (I call it LOG BOOK) to appear on every Course Page as an easy goto link

5. I prompt Students within the Course at various stages when I want them to add an entry - I get them to copy and paste something like  the following from the Course page for each new entry:

Copy the following Heading & Entry Instruction and fill in the date when you paste it in your LOG BOOK 201

"Heading: My LOG BOOK 201 For Intro to Demography on DD/MM/YYY at HH:MM
Entry Instruction: Write a couple of sentences saying what you hope to learn about Demography and whether you have any prior knowledge or perceptions of what you think Demography means."

Their entry should follow this.  I also prompt them to add any Glossary entries they have learned.

I have two questions:

A. Do you see any problems with this approach?

B. I have 28 separate courses planned for my site grouped in 4 categories of 7 courses each.  I plan to manage course enrollments so they can have 7 courses (one Category) open at any one time. I would then Grade the 7 courses in the one category which would close off the 7 Assignments. I would ask them to Download the 7 LOG BOOKs then. I have set a word limit of 2000 to begin with for each Assignment. Do you see any problems in having this many Assignment open at one time?  Could be Moodle.Cloud capacity limits for storage?

Kind Regards

Bruce

In reply to Bruce Gregor

by Paula Clough -

Hello,

You could get quite a few of your objectives with the database activity. There is a simple journal for each week database preset in Moodle.net that is very simple but might give you an idea or two.  

Here's what I can think of having worked with that simpler one. These are brainstorms from what I know.  

1. I want each entry to be word count limited. 

• --Not possible as far as I know. (There is a word count plug in for Atto that would allow students to see their word counts after/during their answering. No link to the database module as far as I know. Also not in MoodleCloud)

2. I want each entry to be accessible (as an option). 

• -- If by accessible you mean for other students to see it, you can change the settings on the edit settings page so that other students can see.
  • The one I used had the following entries to make it so that no other students could see another student's entries

Entries before viewing: 50
    Maximum entries: 16
    Required entries:  16
  • To make the entries accessible to other students changes would be:
    • Entries before viewing: either 0 or 1
    • Approval required: Yes (will prevent other students viewing before teacher says it meets criteria) 
  • If you do not want students to rate, view ratings, comment, view comments, you will need to change the permissions in the database... once you have made one like this, you can import from one course to another.

3. I want quiz results to appear in the journal.

• -- not possible as far as I know, though if you are just talking grades, the students could copy and paste their info from the quiz when they check their scores. If you wanted all feedback and answers, I wouldn't even try.

4. I want them to be able to download the Journal after they have finished with the whole course and be able to use this as credible evidence of what they have gained from doing the online course. (nice format would be nice!) 

• Teachers can download all entries into spreadsheet.
  • Students cannot download but they can copy their entries off the course page and paste into a Word document which may be saved.

5. I would like each entry to be date time stamped when last edited.

• Time added and Time modified can be added to the templates in the Database. I believe the Time modified will show the last time modified, but I haven't used this in a while so may be mistaken.

6. I would like editing of each entry to be closed off when (and if) an assessment has been made.

• This can be done.  Settings:
    • Approval required: Yes
    • Allow editing of approved entries: No

7. My learning objective is for this Journal be reflective and evidence of curiosity sparked by the topics and student perceptions recorded before and after completing each topic.

• Should be evident in the database as the entries can be searched for single student and all displayed together so that the instructor or student can see their growth.
  • Can use scales for ratings which can also show evidence of growth if created well.
Hope that helps.  cool
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paula Clough

by Bruce Gregor -
Thank you so much Paula and Mary for your clear and well thought out

responses. What a great helpful community!

These are great suggestions. I will study up on the implementations and

experiment with them.  I would like to keep fully within Moodle Cloud - it

looks so great now.

Regards

Bruce

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 5:07 AM, Paula Clough (via Moodle.org) <
In reply to Bruce Gregor

by Jurgen Gaeremyn -

Just another approach would be to work with badges.

You can assign several tasks to a badge, and several badges (that are out in the open if you publicize the badges). The badges document what skills/tasks need to be met. With this set of badges, you can also offer a differentiated report of what competencies your learner developed...

In reply to Jurgen Gaeremyn

by Bruce Gregor -

Great idea Jurgen!

I haven't worked with badges yet but they had sparked my attention.  This could be a way of recognising Quizzes and other learnings along the way as well as publicly promoting the course.

More Moodle learning for me - agh!

Cheers

Bruce