No Export to Excel button on Analysis tab

No Export to Excel button on Analysis tab

by Bob Ridge-Stearn -
Number of replies: 10

We are using Moodle 3.1

The Feedback module no longer seems to allow us to export a results overview to Excel as we previously did.

The documentation on Moodle.org for the latest version of Moodle shows an Export to Excel button but we do not see this. See images below.

Please do not advise to use the Show Responses tab and the 'download table data as' function as this does not export the overall figures as we have been able to download for the last five years.

Any insights or advice would be welcome.

This is what you see on https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Using_Feedback 

Analysis tab in Feedback module showing Export to Excel button

This is what we see.

The feedback module with no Export to excel button

Bob Ridge-Stearn
Newman University, Birmigham, UK

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Ridge-Stearn

Re: No Export to Excel button on Analysis tab

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It is on the Show Responses tab in 3.1.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Bob Ridge-Stearn -

Hi Emma,

I did refer to this in my post and suggested it was not the solution. If I have misunderstood, can you explain?

Thanks

Bob

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Your image shows the Analysis tab - the download is on the Show Responses tab...

by Emma Richardson -

I apologize - apparently I did not read your post fully twice!!  I guess I have never seen or used the analysis download - how is it different?

by Bob Ridge-Stearn -

Not to worry, Emma. I think Al's response answers the question.  Best wishes, Bob.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Bob,

I do know that in some other plugins, those separate type of buttons have been removed and instead a link for the capability is then added into the administration block for the activity. When I first read this, I thought that might be the case and that the new administration block link was missing, maybe due to some of the problems with the new way of doing themes. After doing some checking I don't think this is the case.

It is true that the code for the, Export to Excel button, has been removed from the analysis.php page. In the old versions of Feedback, when the button was clicked it ran the analysis_to_excel.php file. That file is no longer included. Since that file is missing, you are not going to be able to export to Excel in the format you want.

Having said that, as an experiment, I added the code back to create the button and added back the missing file. I then was able to get the former Excel export to work and it looks correct. Do this at your own risk.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Bob Ridge-Stearn -

Hi Al,

Well that explains it.  Yes I had checked the admin block and also the admin settings for the plugin in the system admin section, but as you noted, the export function is not there.  OK, I will have a think about what to do. It's frustrating because our Quality Office uses that function on modules to extract student satisfaction data and the lack of the function has meant that their workflow fails.

Thanks again

Bob

by Sue Holtz -

Frustrating here, as well. We download the quantitative data and  for comparing responses over the years. This is the first time in three years we cannot do that. We just upgraded to 3.2. I don't have the time to enter the numbers in a spreadsheet by hand.

In reply to Sue Holtz

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Actually for those of you who really want to get the old Excel output in a Moodle 3.1 or Moodle 3.2, it is easy to do. Just get the file, analysis_to_excel.php from a Moodle 3.0 feedback folder and place it in your current Moodle feedback folder. Go into your current Moodle and  go to the feedback activity. In your web browser, where it is showing ...yourmoodle/mod/feedback/view.php?id=somenumber, replace just the word view with analysis_to_excel and hit Enter and you will get the Excel report you used to get.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)