Smaller than normal quiz width

Smaller than normal quiz width

by William Stewart -
Number of replies: 3

Moodle 3.2+, custom theme

The quiz width is more narrow than when we were running Moodle 3.1.2+ through 2.9. It also doesn't seem to play nice with zoom features on browsers (attempted on Firefox). I've only really noticed this because our student computers have older square monitors and suddenly there is an extra amount of white space that makes the central quiz boxes much narrower. This is technically true on my widescreen monitor as well but if I preview any quiz, of course I have more than enough room. Is this an intentional design decision in 3.2 to make the page more symmetrical or this a bug of some kind? I was curious since it seems to just have too much unused space that could be used for questions. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William Stewart

Re: Smaller than normal quiz width

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't think this was an intentional change. Probaby a bad interaction beteween your custom theme and the core Moodle theme. It would be good to check with a standard theme on your server. Probalby best fixed by changing the custom theme.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by William Stewart -

Tim,

It is a quirk in the theme. It's fine under 3.1.2 plus, and also fine under 3.2/Boost. I've gotten in touch with the developer as something doesn't play nice with 3.2. It's not a huge problem, but it is inconvenient for the way some of the quizzes have been made. 

Thanks for the reply smile.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by William Stewart -
In the spirit of sharing, there is a bug with 3.2+ that thinks that there are 3 columns in our theme, and thus potentially others (as shown in the pictures). The developer of our theme took a look and was able to override this with a simple CSS line:

.empty-region-side-post.side-pre-only #region-bs-main-and-pre {
    float: none;
    width: auto;
}

This brought the width of the question blocks back to a normal width.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)