Quiz

important question

Picture of simona sargolini
important question

I want you to ask you if I can use Moodle for creating a quiz of 100 questions (15 of a topic, 15 of another and so on) that takes questions from a database of 3200 questions in maximum 100 minutes.
Thank you for your help and sorry for my horrible english.
Let me know

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: important question
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Moving to Quiz forum...

?

Picture of Eoin Campbell
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Yes you can.

thanks Eoin, can you also gently tell me where I can find info about how can i do that? thanks again

Picture of Eoin Campbell
Re: important question (create quiz with X questions from different topics)

You need to first organise your database of questions. They should all be in a Question Bank, and the question bank should have a set of categories, one for each topic. The questions should then be placed in the appropriate category. See the Question Bank documentation.

Then you create a quiz activity (see the Building Quiz documentation). In the quiz settings, you can specify a total elapsed time limit, as well as setting limits on when it is available to students.

When selecting questions to include in the quiz, you should use the Adding a random question option to have the quiz select 15 questions from the topic you want. You need to repeat this for each topic you want to include, so that you end up with the 100 questions.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

and when I've done all these things I can create a standalone software that my kids can use by themselves?
thank you sooo much!
Simona

Picture of Eoin Campbell

I'm not sure what you mean by "standalone software". Moodle runs on a web server, and students access it via a web browser, so it is not a 'standalone' application under the normal meaning as I understand it.

However, if you mean to ask if they can do the quiz and have it graded automatically, without manual intervention by you, then the answer is yes (as long as you use questions that have simple right/wrong answers, not essay-type questions that must be marked manually).

thank you again Eoin but our school doesn't have a server...how can I do?

Picture of Marcus Green
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

If you have access to Moodle, then you have access to a server that is running Moodle.

what do you mean? i don't have a server...

Picture of Eoin Campbell

If you don't have your own server, you can get a free server from Moodle HQ at MoodleCloud. This allows you up to 50 users, but cheap upgrades for more users are also available.

A free Teaching with Moodle course started last week, and you can still sign up to it. It will help get you started.

and I can't create a standalone program to run it on my kids computers? if not, can you suggest me a free software i can use for the purpose? thank you so much

Simona

Picture of Eoin Campbell

Hot Potatoes (https://hotpot.uvic.ca/) might be worth a look, but without knowing your particular use case and user profile, it seems to me that a centralised Moodle server would be a better approach, allowing you to maintain and add questions, and change quizzes quite easily, and allowing your students to access them from practically any Internet-enabled device, whether PC, phone or tablet.

yes Eoin, Moodle seemed the best solution but i have more than 200 students and wanted to create a software that everyone of them can use in indipendent way..unfortunataly hot potatoes is not good for my aim sad
the only good solutions are not free software and the school doesn't have funds sad

Picture of Eoin Campbell

Check Free Moodle listings, or http://www.freemoodle.org/ might suit if you don't need more than 100 students in a single course.

unfortunately i think it's not suitable..i really don't know how to do sad

Picture of Eoin Campbell

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. You would get a long way down the learning curve with Moodle on a free 50-100 user service, and students could share accounts if necessary.

I've donwloaded the complete version, but how must i proceed after this?