Why not Php 7.0?

Why not Php 7.0?

by jared beck -
Number of replies: 4

I installed an upgrade as a pilot version but kept getting server errors (code 500) until the host switched the php from 7.1 to 7.0 and now it seems to be working fine. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about using Php 7.0 because the upgrade documentation says it's not recommended.  

Any idea why PHP 7.1 wouldn't work and PHP 7.0 will?  

What's wrong with PHP 7.0?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jared beck

Re: Why not Php 7.0?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What version of Moodle are we talking about? 

In reply to Howard Miller

by jared beck -
The latest build 3.2 +.  The same thing happened when I just did a full upgrade as opposed to merely a pilot.  I received a 500 server error until I changed the php form 7.1 to 7.0.  Now it looks to be working fine but I wonder why 3.2 won't work with PHP  7.1 for me and what is wrong with 7.0?
 Thanks!
In reply to jared beck

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Are you a bit confused here? You *downgraded* from 7.0 to 7.1?

I have both running on various dev boxes and all work fine. I've not tried it on a production server yet.

In reply to jared beck

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jared,
support for PHP 7.1 was under development - MDL-55120 for the whole list of issues and MDL-55121 to find what version should be compliant w/ 7.1 - and now Moodle 3.2 should work fine with it BUT please, check if you're using 3rd party plug-ins e.g. starting from themes: you should have some of them not compatible w/ PHP 7.1 yet.

HTH,
Matteo