Cannot install moodle on godaddy server

Cannot install moodle on godaddy server

by premthilak c -
Number of replies: 37

Cannot install moodle on godaddy server and i have mentioned the versions and steps that i did to install them

Moodle V 3.1

New Installation

Server version  - 5.5.43-37.2

PHP version: 5.5.30 and mysql 4.5.1

1)created folder moodledev in godaddy server host and copied the moodle zip to it

2)Unziped the moodle in moodledev  and created subdomain to it

3)Created folder moodledata 

4)Used install file to install but it throws the above error that i mentioned

created database and gave permission for all child and parent folder  and it has subdomain too

Average of ratings: -
In reply to premthilak c

Re: Cannot install moodle on godaddy server

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Howard Miller

by premthilak c -

@Howard, my friend runs mysql 5.5 but still he too face same problem to install on server and could you help me out because i have been trying this for past couple of weeks 

In reply to premthilak c

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You're not going to get *anywhere* with the wrong version of MySQL. It won't even try to install.

Anyway, you say you mentioned the error but not that I can see. What error did you get (exactly!)?

by premthilak c -
@Howard, 

when i install moodle on web server at initial set up it shows http://moodledev.xxxxxxxxxx/install.php

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

In reply to premthilak c

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am not sure this is a database error.  Looks more like a permissions issue or incorrect web address.  

by premthilak c -

@Howard, i have installed 3.0 in local machine and pointed the database to godday server's  MYSQL 4.5 and works perfectly in local but not at web

In reply to premthilak c

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
How are you creating your moodle database on your Godaddy server?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by premthilak c -

@Rick

In reply to premthilak c

by Rick Jerz -

Okay.  Are you creating a database for your moodle, a database user, and then adding the user to this database?  And are you giving this user full control of your database?  Are you changing the collation of your database to utf8-unicode?  Are you using this information when you then install your moodle?

Is this a hosted server or a VPS?

What installation documentation are you using to help you install your moodle?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by premthilak c -

@Rick,  It is Hosted Server and i providing the full control to the database and i'm not familiar with utf8 and  if possible could you give some idesa or steps to install  moodle on godday because i'm new to these things

Installation Document

http://williamriceinc.blogspot.in/2008/04/how-to-install-moodle-on-godaddy.html

In reply to premthilak c

by Rick Jerz -

Okay, the directions are from 2012.  William Rice wrote a book on Moodle, so he is certainly knowledgable.  Not bad instructions, but a few things are missing.

Also look at Moodle's own documentation about installation for some more background about installing Moodle.

So, I assume that you created a database, a user, and added this user to the database giving full rights.  Right?  Go to phpMyAdmin, click on your database, Operations, and change the collation to utf8_unicode.

I am busy right now, but I might be able to make you a video about how to do this.  It might take me a day or two, however.  See how far you can make it on your own.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by premthilak c -

Still it throws the error and sorry to disturb you and if possible help me out from this

In reply to Rick Jerz

by premthilak c -

@Rick, I followed the documentation but i'm not getting on it and there is no version problems where everything is 5.5 versions and default the collation is  utf8_unicode.

I have query regard the database that should i create config.php and should place it in moodle folder  before the installation starts or they are created automatically when during the install.php is executed.

Server version  - 5.5.43-37.2

PHP version: 5.5.30 and mysql 5.5

It would be helpful if you provide some steps or guide on installation.

Thanks in advance

In reply to premthilak c

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The config file is created by the installer.  As I mentioned before, I don't think this is a database error.  You are not even getting to the page that would complain about directing to the database.  This is more likely a dns or directional issue. Your server is not letting you get to the installer with with the url you are entering.  This means that moodle is not where your url is pointing or permissions are wrong.  Check your A records on your host - the url you are entering should point to your moodle folder - is your moodle folder in your public html folder?  Then it will normally be yoursite.com/moodle to get there.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by premthilak c -

My Root Directory is  ibi

And Sub Domain is moodldev

ibi(root)

moodledata (datafolder)

moodldev 

moodle  - -> install.php

http://moodledev.ibi.in/moodle , i'm using this to install 

@Emma, i just created manually config.php and copied it to the moodle folder and i run the above url for a testing purpose (just a try) and it throws error

Fatal error: $CFG->dataroot is not configured properly, directory does not exist or is not accessible! Exiting.

$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://moodledev.ibi.in/moodle';

$CFG->dataroot  = '/ibi/moodledata'; throws error

So from that error i think it pointing out to the correct folder and if it is wrong don't mistake me

In reply to premthilak c

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Been watching this conversation and finally have to ask a question ...

In a screen shot you show the url to be http://moodledev.[a-long-series-of-xxxxxs].in

In the response above you share wwwroot as within the ibi.in domain - ie, DNS.

It is assumed that we are trying to obsecure the domain name to resolve the issue, but when hosting anything anywhere ... installer has to have either direct control of DNS or be able to communicate what is desired with those that do control the TLD (top level domain).

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to premthilak c

by Rick Jerz -

Okay, I finally put together a quick video showing how to install Moodle on a GoDaddy Hosted Server.  See if this helps.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by premthilak c -
Rick, thanks for your video but it throws me the error 

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

In reply to premthilak c

by Albert Ramsbottom -

This looks like a server error rather than a moodle one

If one miss-configures the directory root in the moodle config file then it wil throw a moodle error, the same goes with the DB.

Sorry havent read every post, but is it a windows IIS server

Albert

In reply to premthilak c

by Rick Jerz -

Have you tried getting rid of what doesn't work and starting from scratch: An new database, new moodledata, and new moodle?

In reply to premthilak c

by Rick Jerz -

Have you tried getting rid of what doesn't work and starting from scratch: An new database, new moodledata, and new moodle?

In reply to premthilak c

by Howard Miller -

I'm going to assume it's not MySQL 4 then. In fact I don't think there was a 4.5!

In reply to premthilak c

by roland salim -

Hello

i am facing the same error: A month from now i successfully installed Moodle 3.1 on godady and everything is normal.

suddenly i tried to access Moodle i got the same error 

i tried to re-install a new copy of Moodle but i got the below error too:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

In reply to roland salim

by Rick Jerz -

How did you install your moodle?

Do you have a hosted server, vps, or dedicated server?

What have you done on your server over the last month?

In reply to roland salim

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What did you find when you looked in the server log?

In reply to Marcus Green

by roland salim -

Thank you for your reply.

i was surprised since i didnt apply any updates to my server.

i try to check the log file:

"2016-12-27 07:48:45 W3SVC132 N1NWVPWEB024 188.121.43.1 GET /moodle - 80 - 37.209.254.11 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1;+Win64;+x64)+AppleWebKit/537.36+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/55.0.2883.87+Safari/537.36 - - www.pierresalim.com 404 0 2 1320 377 78

2016-12-27 07:48:45 W3SVC132 N1NWVPWEB024 188.121.43.1 GET /favicon.ico - 80 - 37.209.254.11 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1;+Win64;+x64)+AppleWebKit/537.36+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/55.0.2883.87+Safari/537.36 - http://www.pierresalim.com/moodle www.pierresalim.com 404 0 2 1320 350 62"

i had a copy from moodle site version 3.1 uploaded to my hosted domain on godaddy everything was ok and i was working for 6 months on that platform without any error.

In reply to roland salim

by Rick Jerz -

The log file information makes no sense to me, maybe others will be able to see something in it.

It might be that Godaddy upgraded your system and installed the wrong version of php?

Does anyone else mess with your server besides you?

Do you have backup files of your moodle installation, database, and moodledata folders?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by roland salim -

No one has access to my server and i still have access to moodle installation database and moodle data folder.

In reply to roland salim

by Rick Jerz -

What version of php is on the server?

How did you install your moodle?  Manually?  One-click Installer?

You might want to try installing a fresh copy of moodle using a different (new, such as moodle-exp) database, a new moodledata folder (such as moodledata-exp), and a new moodle (into a folder moodle-new) to see if a fresh copy would work.  If it does, then you would know that the problem is something to do with your moodle and not the Godaddy server.

Do you know how to install moodle manually?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by roland salim -
no

i would be thanks full if you could provide me with the necessary steps to install it manually

In reply to Rick Jerz

by roland salim -

php version with some details

Attachment php version.png
In reply to roland salim

by Rick Jerz -

It appears that you might have a Windows Godaddy server? Right? (I see Microsoft IIS/8.5")

In reply to Rick Jerz

by roland salim -

right and everything was going well on that server and i hadnt any error with my moodle site on it till the date that i couldnt access my site anymore without applying any changes on the server

In reply to roland salim

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What was the name of that log file? It looks to me like the access log whereas you would need to see the error log. These typically have names like apache_access.log and apache_error.log (those are incorrect names but the concept is right).

In reply to roland salim

by Emma Richardson -

Something changed somewhere.  What happens when you try to access?  Screenshot?  Have you turned debugging on in your config.php file?