Folder Activity and moodle/course:manageactivities

Folder Activity and moodle/course:manageactivities

by Nadirshah Ferozepurwalla -
Number of replies: 6

moodle/course:manageactivities and Folder Activity

Folder Activity upload for students achieved, but how to disable delete option? 

Method

Step 1)

New role created with Permissions (inherits student role)

Activity: Folder

Add a new folder

mod/folder:addinstance

Allow

Activity: Folder

Manage files in folder module

mod/folder:managefiles

Allow

View folder content

mod/folder:view

Allow

Block

Edit a block's settings

moodle/block:edit

Prevent

View block

moodle/block:view

Allow

Manage blocks on a page

moodle/site:manageblocks

Allow

Manage activities

moodle/course:manageactivities

Not set

Step 2)

Goto the course, assign the enrolled student this new role - This will give student the capability of working with folder activity and make the "Turn on Editing button" appear.

Goto the Folder activity --> assign roles --> assign the role of teacher to that particular user, This will allow the appearance of "Edit Menu" for the folder activity when the student clicks on turn on editing.

Question:

How to limit the student to only Edit settings option of the folder activity. The student should not be able to delete, hide the activity?

Possible explored solutions on the internet:

1) Hide it the options using CSS, REJECTED, we have well versed students, they can make it visible using browser inspect mode

2) Prohibit the moodle/course:manageactivities for the new role created, REJECTED, we need to edit option so that the required students can upload files to the folder activity

I just want to remove the delete and hide option, any advice? on permissions i am missing? 

or any way to catch the delete and hide action on click and give error message using moodle events? (just a guess never used them)

Thankyou for all the help

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nadirshah Ferozepurwalla

Re: Folder Activity and moodle/course:manageactivities

by Rosa GF -
Hello

Did you find a way for students to upload files but not to delete them? I am searching and I see that it is an old question, but I don't find solutions. Nor a plugin for resolving this.

Thanks smile
In reply to Rosa GF

by Paula Clough -

May I ask why you want students to use the folder resource for uploading files. What will they be doing with them after they upload? Or what will the teacher be doing with them?

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Nadirshah Ferozepurwalla -

The basic aim is to create a structured student/teacher contributed library of resource material.

In reply to Nadirshah Ferozepurwalla

by Paula Clough -

You might find the database activity a better way to this. You can set it up to allow uploading files. You can supply a either a drop down list of the categories you want the students to organize their files in or Have a space they can type the categories. It can also be set up to have tags. You can decide whether or not you want the students type a quick summary of what the resource is. You can allow students some different role permission on just this one activity and not all others. It is also searchable. You might want to check out some of the database presets in Moodle.net to see what has been done with database activity in the past and shared. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Paula Clough

by Rosa GF -
Thanks Paula Clough, I have the same need and I will investigate about this activity smile
In reply to Rosa GF

by Paula Clough -

Glad to help. Have fun playing with the database presets. This is one of my favorite activities to refine and make it do what I want. cool