Course Navigation

Course Navigation

by Tara Mann -
Number of replies: 8

Hi everyone,

I couldn't find a topic that seemed to be directly about navigation, so I have created this new one.

I basically just wanted to share a blog post I recently added on how less is more. I know we say it all the time, but do we really mean it, and do we fight for it when it comes to the crunch. It is so easy to say ok to many suggestions and keep adding features and handy links etc. but what is the compromise to usability? 

I've done a mockup (which I actually created a while ago) that hopefully challenges what really needs to be on the course landing page, based on the less is more principle (also known as interference effects in psychology). I've inserted the first page, but do have a quick look at the rationale on the blog.

This is very rough, but happy to hear thoughts about this mockup which also incorporates some pretty standard web navigation techniques used these days.

Click here to go to the blog post.

Thanks,
Tara

P.S. If anyone could somehow get 'Open in a new window' to be the default mode when creating a link in Moodle, I would be FOREVER grateful!

Landing page of a course in the LMS

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tara Mann

Re: Course Navigation

by Tara Mann -

Also... this is a great article by one of my favourite designers... 12 Digital Product Design Principles

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tara Mann

by Derek Chirnside -

Tara, have you seen Boost, possibly best with the Fordson child theme?

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Tara Mann -

Ok great! I haven't checked this out yet. Will do!

Thanks,

Tara

In reply to Tara Mann

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Your layout is an awful lot like the Boost structure without the big image.  I really like the direction that HQ is going with Boost navigation.   I know we will get pushback from staff who know how things are done prior to Boost but once they learn the new ways it will be better and easier.
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Tara Mann -

Ok great! Just checking back in here and noticed someone else has also pointed me in Boosts direction. I must check it out. I'm really interested to see whether there are any improvements on the editing side of things too. It's so back and forth, it takes 10 times longer to make simple text edits. That said, so thankful for the little helpers like quick topic and activity name edits!

-Tara

In reply to Tara Mann

by Stuart Lamour -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tara,

while far from ideal you could of maybe create sections/topics/weeks in the course called Assignments, Discussions etc and add the appropriate content to each topic?

Understand this is far from ideal, and personally i like to have activities related to a topic in the topic, but might be worth a try if this better supports your teaching aims?

In reply to Stuart Lamour

by Tara Mann -

Thanks for your comments Stuart! I added discussions and assignments etc. down the left hand side menu in this prototype, as my institution has already implemented this as an 'addition' in our instance of Moodle. I've seen Coursera add a forum/discussion topic directly underneath the topic, but then also populate all forums/discussions on one easy to find left hand side tab as well.

I also believe my version above has examples of activities within the topic as well. You may have to go to the prototype and click on Week/Topic One to see this

Thanks,

Tara