Unable to view cache configuration page

Unable to view cache configuration page

by Barry Baronas -
Number of replies: 5

Hi All,

I am having difficulty getting to the cache config page in my moodle site.

I go to Site Administration -> Plugins -> Caching -> Configuration, but each time I go there I get bounced out to my home page. Oddly enough, the URL in my browser is still showing https://my.moodle.site/cache/admin.php. It is just not showing the cache configuration page.

Any ideas where to start looking?

No errors are showing up in my Nginx logs.

I'm running Moodle 3.2 on Nginx.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barry Baronas

Re: Unable to view cache configuration page

by Jeff White -
Was this with a blank version of Moodle or did you just apply some settings to your MUC and now want to see what those changes are? Are you logged out of your Moodle instance when you are bounced to your homepage? 
In reply to Jeff White

by Barry Baronas -

I had this site for many years. I had set caching before (I think back in version 2.9), then I backed out of my caching configuration due to some server upgrades. Now that the dust has settled so to speak, I wish to go back an re-enable caching, but I cannot get the cache/admin.php page to come up. It seems to be the only page that doesn't show.

I am logged into my server as an administrator, and I am still logged in (or at least appear to be) when I get bounced to my home page.

In reply to Barry Baronas

by Jeff White -

The red flag I am seeing in your previous post is the "server upgrades." If you have configured a caching service that is no longer available after you changed your environment (like php-memcached no longer exists) you should get something like "Exception - Class 'NAMEOFCACHEINSTANCE' not found" and when you click continue, it takes you back to your homepage. The only way I know of to remove the no longer valid set up, is to edit the tables directly in the database. BACKUP your database before doing this!

I am interested to know how you reverted your cache settings after the server upgrade. I would have assumed you were able to go to /cache/admin.php after the server upgrade to revert the change and but why is it not accessible anymore. 

Do you have any error messages in your httpd logging that may share some light into your issue? 

In reply to Jeff White

by Barry Baronas -

Yes. I was made aware that my server was being upgraded, so I went into Moodle and the cacheing admin (prior to any upgrades going on) and took out my references to memcached, and saved the changes. I cannot get back to the admin.php after the upgrade.

Where do I look in the database to see the caching setup?

In reply to Jeff White

by Barry Baronas -

I figured it out!

Turns out my Nginx configuration was too strict on security and blocked running scripts found in the cache directory.

Had my IT person loosen up the restriction, and the page came back.