Grades in %

Grades in %

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 17

I had set up a workshop where the maximum mark was 50. Now students get their results shown as for example:

The Grade is : 25.00% (Maximum grade 50%)

I find this very confusing. 50 points was supposed to correspond to perfect score, i.e., 100%. I think it would be better to change the output of the workshop module to:

The Grade is : 25 (Maximum grade 50)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Grades in %

by Ray Kingdon -
Yes, not sure when these percentages crept in. The Grades... page does not use percentages and I assume neither does the Assignment module. [Locally we are moving from a grading system (A1, A2.. B1, etc) to percentages. Rumour has it, we're explaining it to our non-science colleagues as two 50's added together evil] In the Workshop module and Exercise they are best dropped.

Thanks
Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Ray Kingdon -
I've stripped out hopefully all the % signs, a grade is now a grade not a percentage. That's been done in the Exercise module as well.

The new version is in CVS.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Gustav W Delius -

Thanks for all the recent changes in response to my posts, Ray.

I just assessed a submission with the new version of the workshop module and now was given: The grade is: 100.00  (Maximum Grade: 50). That is still a bit confusing. thoughtful

by Ray Kingdon -
Ah, is this coming from an error-banded assignment? These were in percentages. New error-banded assessments are now out of the assignment grade. The module is not smart enough to re-jig an existing error-banded assignment to the new scheme.

There are three workarounds if you have existing error-banded assignments:

1. Remove them and start again wink
  2. Amend the bands so they are out of the Assignment grade rather than 100.
  3. Set the assignment grade to 100.

Please let me know if that's the problem,
thanks
Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Gustav W Delius -

Yes, it is an error banded assignment. My (~100) students have completed marking and their assessments are savely stored in the database. I have changed the bands in the grade table as you suggested. How do I now re-calculate the grades to take into account the new bands?

by Ray Kingdon -
Good Question big grin I think it's OK and there's no fiddling about with the existing grades. In the workshop module the error-banded grades (and all the other types for that matter) are scaled to the assignment grade when stored in the assessments. [This is actually not the best way of doing it, the exercise module stores grades internally out of 100 and uses the assignment grade on-the-fly when displaying them. This means you can change the assignment grade at any time which is nice.]

Your only(?) problem could be any assessments done while the grades in the error bands were incorrect (that is scaled in the range 0-100 instead of 0-50 in your case). I suspect those will be double what they should be.

You'll need to goto in the Administration page and check out several assessments to see if that pans out. In the workshop module the grade that gets displayed at the top of the assessment page is the figure that stored in the database.

In the fullest of time I want be change the Workshop module so that it stores grades in the same way as the Exercise module, but I need to think through how and where existing assignments can be preserved.

Please let me know what you find,
thanks
Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

Re-grading possible?

by Gustav W Delius -
For reasons that I don't understand, i.e., because I must have done something wrong blush,  the only marks that were given with my previous setup of the error-banded assignment were 0 and 50. Now that I have fixed the error-bands I would like to re-grade all the assignments. Is that possible in some convenient way? If not, I will simply write my own script that goes directly to the database and recomputes the grades.

Re: Re-grading possible?

by Ray Kingdon -
To get marks which are only 50 and 0 is quite possible in an error banded assignment. If there are no errors you get 50, if there's one or more errors you get 0, so the grades in the table are 50,0,0,0...

How convenient is convenient? If you go into the Administration page of the exercise you should see a Re-assess link against each of the student's SUBMISSIONS (that's the second of the large tables on the Admin page). Clicking on those in turn and saving each assessment will (I think) re-calc the grade according to a revised grade table. That would need to done for each student submission. Is that convenient? I'm afraid there's isn't a single magic bullet link to do it in one step sad A short script which sums the No's in the exercise_grades table might be quicker and certainly much more interesting big grin
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Nic McPhee -
Am I correct in assuming that there's no good way to recompute all the grades that the students' have already entered?

I wanted to reduce the value of a workshop from 10 to 2 due to technical problems with the assignment, but the students assessed each other on a 10 point scale, and I can't seem to find any way to get it to recompute the grades.  A simple "Recompute scores" button in the admin page might be nice for a future version smile.

Thanks - Nic
In reply to Nic McPhee

by Ray Kingdon -
Nic, I'm afraid that's not possible in the old version of Workshop sad. However, following the practice used in the Exercise and Lesson modules, the new version of the Workshop module (version 2004081100) stores all grades internally out of 100 and shows them out of the current grade value. So with the new version you can downscale (or upscale) the grades at any time during the assignment smile. Also all the grades are computed "on the fly" so there's no real need for a "Recompute" button for the teacher to press. There is, however, such a button just to give the teacher a feeling of power... big grin
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Nic McPhee -
That sounds great - thanks.  I'm really looking forward to moving up to the new version of the Workshop when the term ends approve.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Koops -

Not knowing how to use CVS ( i use redhat 9.0 linux) and being used to unzip the files on a windows machine before copying to the server (probably a very silly procedure, but I am quite new to the whole server-world). is there another way to upgrade my workshop module?

I am using moodle1.1.1 since december, and |I have not upgrading since then because I fear for unstability due to the groups feature.

I just replaced the workshop module by the last one downloaded along with the current moodle1.2 version.

When trying to calculate the grades I am prompted for :

setoverallocationsetoverallocation" href="http://drkoops.xs4all.nl/moodle/help.php?module=workshop&file=overallocation.html"><a href=setoverallocation" src="http://drkoops.xs4all.nl/moodle/pix/help.gif" width="22" border="0" />

overallocation:

2 1 0

Overzichtstabel van ingestuurd werkOverzichtstabel van ingestuurd werk

numberofentries:

All 50 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

hidenamesfromstudents

Nee Ja

What does this mean? I tried to fill in soemnumbers and save them but I did not see a calculate button or anything... ????

Furhtermore I notice phase 5 and phase 6. Am I right in updating at this stage?

how can i get my students the xcorrect grades on tuesdaymorning??
Any help would be grately apreciated

Kind regards,

martijn

In reply to Martin Koops

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
It means you have to update lang/nl/workshop.php
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Martin Koops -

Thanks,

Now I have upgraded the module and investigated the analysis, I am starting to work towards a solution for the grading issue.

I have two question left:

1. What do the {}, [] and percentages in the administration screen mean?
  2.  In the 4th column of the grade table (assessments, weight 1) I get a grade = 10 (max) for all students. What can cause this??

Can anyone help me out here?

In reply to Martin Koops

by Ray Kingdon -
Yes, I'm afraid these are a bit mystic. They are all assessment grades, the ones in {} are done by students, and the ones in [] are done by the teacher. If, in the analysis, you reject some of the assessments (try rejecting 15% to begin with) then the rejected assessments show up in <> brackets.

The reason why all the students have got 10's in that column is that they've all done their quota of the assessments and the analysis has not rejected any of those assessments. It's more than likely that some of those assessments are way off and should be rejected. Have a look at the help file on the Analysis of assessments page for some guidance on the various settings.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Koops -

OK,

I have 2 assignments done per student. That why I have only 0, 5 or 10 as possible grades. How can I make my grades for their assignemtns show up??

I have graded the students assignement-efforts. Can I calculate the final grade, using the grades I provided rather than the percentage of correctly graded assigments by the students.

Kind regards,

martijn