Resubmissions have no title and can't be accessed

Resubmissions have no title and can't be accessed

by Nic McPhee -
Number of replies: 6
I'm trying out the workshop module for the first time, and my students are struggling with resubmissions and would really appreciate some help.

I have resubmissions turns on, and some (all?) of them are having nasty problems when they try to re-submit.  They get a second entry in their list of submissions, but it has no title (and thus no link) and they can't delete that entry and other students can't assess it (since it's not there).

Oddly, the second entry does show up in the instructor's Administration view.  When I look in the file system, there are directories for the new entries, but those directories are empty.

Is the upload failing somehow and leaving the DB in a corrupt state?

BTW, this does not appear to be the same as the problem of special characters in file names.

I've got a bunch of students who want to resubmit based on the excellent feedback they got from there peers, so any help would certainly be appreciated.

Many thanks -- Nic
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nic McPhee

Re: Resubmissions have no title and can't be accessed

by Ray Kingdon -
Yes, it looks likely, I'll investigage it and get back.
Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Ray Kingdon -
Yes, it's a bit of a nasty bug. There was a change to the way datalib handled inserts a little time back. The change was tripping up the resubmission code and, as you found, leaving the database in a bit of sorry state for those resubmissions. The bug is now fixed in CVS but note that CVS holds the brand new version of the Workshop Module. Please note that this fix wouldn't get repair your database, it only stops it from happening in new workshops.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Nic McPhee -
Ouch sad.

So just to make sure I'm understanding this clearly, the database for the workshop I'm currently running is pretty much messed up and there's no reasonable way to make multiple submissions work for this workshop. (Which means that I'm going to have to significantly re-work this assignment on the fly, but I guess that's why they pay me smile.)

And if I want to allow/require resubmissions in any future workshops, I'll need to upgrade or patch.

I'm using whatever version of the workshop came with 1.3.4 when we first installed Moodle a few weeks ago:

$module->version = 2004052100;
$module->requires = 2004051600; // Requires this Moodle version
$module->cron = 60;

The new workshop sounds quite excellent and several of the improvements look very appealing, but I'd been hoping to avoid an upgrade until the semester ended in case things went boom. (I can't perform the upgrades myself due to permissions issues, and depend on the goodwill of a sysadmin to do these things for me.)

Not having ever done a moodle upgrade:
  • Is there a patch that would patch my older version? (Or could such a patch be generated?)
  • Would that be desirable, or should I just upgrade to the new workshop (in a production environment surprise)?
  • Can I upgrade just the workshop w/o upgrading the entire Moodle install?
  • Will upgrading the workshop lead to changes in the database that can't easily be undone (i.e., we can't jump back and forth between the old and the new workshop to see what we think of them)?
One idea we've had would be to just run two consecutive workshops, one for the initial draft and the second for the "final" product, and probably have the first count for less in the grade than the second. Would it be simplest to just do something like that for the rest of the term and then try to upgrade in January after grades are done and turned in?

Many thanks for your quick response on this. -- Nic
In reply to Nic McPhee

by Ray Kingdon -
Nic, yes (to the first question) the patch is just one extra line. I'll email you later today with it and any thoughts on how to repair the database I can come up with.
Ray