Online Form Using Database Activity

Online Form Using Database Activity

by Sion Mowbray -
Number of replies: 10

Hi

I'm looking to create an online form, using the database activity.

The field data is very simple, commencing with personal data; name, e-mail, etc. before continuing into numerous Yes/No and Comment fields for each section.

I am struggling with the design, however, as it must contain much text and images throughout.

I have tried editing the design using the list template option, but cannot seem to get the layout to display on the user end.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many, many thanks,

Sion.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sion Mowbray

Re: Online Form Using Database Activity

by Paula Clough -

Sion,

I have tried doing this in a couple of instances.  You will probably need to use some HTML coding to get things to show up correctly.  The <> button in the editing window will let you see the code that is there already and then you can edit it. If I was doing this, I would probably work in the view single template instead as that is where you need to see everything for a learner and then use the view list template to list just important information that you need to see in a long list.  I would also leave any extra text etc that I didn't need out of the list view but keep it for the view single and the add entry templates. Where you really need them.  I hope that helps.

If  you are not very familiar with HTML coding, there are many online resources that will give you the basics.

cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paula Clough

by Sion Mowbray -

Thanks Paula.

I'll see what I can come up with by messing about with the HTML coding; may need to Google a bit as my experience of HTML is minimal.

Am I able to lock the activity down so that the user can only view / complete the form on the single template view?

Thanks again,

Sion.

In reply to Sion Mowbray

by Paula Clough -

Sion,

Of the 3 views, the student can see all 3. The add entry is separate but you can make it look like the single view in the templates if you want. The list view is still visible for the student. You can make it so that the students cannot see any other person's posts however.  In the edit settings you can set maximum number of entries before viewing to a number several over the number you actually need (red outline in image),  then set the maximum number of entries to just the number you actually want the student to post (purple outline in image). This will keep the student from viewing any entries but their own.  They can still see their own posts for all three views but no one else's.  

If you still need to keep the student out of the list view, we would need to know why you wish to keep the student from seeing the list view.  We might be able to help you figure out another way of doing this if we knew better what you are trying to do in that view.

I hope that helps.  cool

Attachment database lock out others.png
In reply to Paula Clough

by Sion Mowbray -

Hi Paula

Thanks for the tip. I'm finally starting to get the hang of this now and you can ignore my previous question as my understanding of the activity has now improved as a result.

I do, however, still need to filter access down but instead so that users are only given the option to add entry, preferably defaulting them to that tab as soon as they enter the activity. I have tried to mess about with the permissions but it blocks users from accessing the activity altogether.

I'm also having some formatting issues, but I will continue to try and troubleshoot this myself for the time being.

Thanks again for your support.

In reply to Sion Mowbray

by Paula Clough -

Sion,

I am so glad you are continuing on to learn what you need to work with the database. It is actually one of my favorite modules!  It takes some time to figure out how to make it work for you but is very flexible and useful for many tasks. 

You might go to Moodle.net there are some nice presets there that may give you some ideas.  One of my favorite posts that came out of MoodleMoot Data Tips and Examples has a PowerPoint and several presets. 

For that filtering you might consider if it is alright for them to see their own posts, just not anyone else's.  Here are two ways I have done this: (1) you can put the students in separate groups and turn that on in the common module settings. Though if you don't already have the groups set up, it can be a lot of work.  (2) Another way is if they will be putting in 5 posts, you can in the settings say they can post only 5 entries but must post 25 before they can view posts. 

Enjoy!!

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Sion Mowbray -

Thanks for all your help thus far Paula.

I think I've been able to manipulate things the way I want them, but I'll have to wait and see when I have more time to test it fully before being 100% certain.

Is there anyway of having the database activity automatically mark as complete once the form has been submitted, this way I can restrict access to the next resource until they have completed the form?

Thanks again,

Sion.

In reply to Paula Clough

by Sion Mowbray -

Here's what I've been able to do.

I have moved the database activity to an extra topic, and hidden that topic. In place of the database activity I have added a direct link to the Add Entry tab, and "Shown" the database activity within the hidden topic. I have removed the fields from the list and single view templates and populated instead with only a completion message.

This automatically defaults them to the Add Entry tab, and upon completion/submission of the form greets them with a completion message.

The only piece of the puzzle I'm now missing for this project is to set-up an e-mail notification for each time the form is submitted. Any ideas for this?

Thanks yet again. smile

In reply to Sion Mowbray

by Paula Clough -

Sion,

Sounds good.  cool

Check out event monitoring...

I haven't played with it much but it should do the job.  Now that I am retired I may get the time!

In reply to Paula Clough

by Sion Mowbray -

Thanks again Paula.

I must admit I had come across references to event monitoring, but it doesn't seem to be enabled on my end.

I'll contact our administrators and hopefully they'll enable it for me.

Thanks for everything.

Best regards,

Sion.