New settings on upgradesettings.php dissapeared while making selections, can we get them back?

New settings on upgradesettings.php dissapeared while making selections, can we get them back?

by Paul Vasilauskis -
Number of replies: 3

Upgraded to 3.1.2, went to the Notifications page and was redirected to ~/admin/upgradesettings.php where there was a long list of options to be set. Sat down with my Training Coordinator, we were about halfway through the list when the page must have automatically refreshed because it reloaded and went to the Notifications page. Trying to go back to upgradesettings.php just redirects to the Notifications page. I don't know if the settings we had made selections are were saved. I don't even know what the settings are if I wanted to try and go in and set them individually.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Vasilauskis

Re: New settings on upgradesettings.php dissapeared while making selections, can we get them back?

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Whenever I reach this page I just go to the bottom and press save without having entered anything, as I have found that most of the settings are related to new features.  When you come to use these new features and you need a particular setting you will search these forums and find out where it lives

What I am saying is dont get hung up on this, as they wont really affect the way you use Moodle

Albert

Re: New settings on upgradesettings.php dissapeared while making selections, can we get them back?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Am sorta in agreement with Albert on this.

For some reason, attempting to go directly to site/admin/upgradesettings.php after upgrade will only send one to the Notifications page (have a recently upgraded 3.1.3+ (Build: 20161115) 'sandbox' site and that's the behavoir if attempting to get to the upgradesettings.php script again directly via browser URL).

But there, one should Check for Available Updates ... you might find some being 3.1.2 and now slightly behind in that series.

Got any addons/plugins not core?   The screen above will/should inform you of those needing updates.

All of what you saw, is there ... some where.   Suggest taking the time to explore the Site Admin menu and links there to see if you don't recognize something.   Yeah, I know, don't have that sort of mind either, but .... this might help:

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/New_features

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Paul Vasilauskis -

Albert, Ken,

Thanks for you input.

I still find it highly annoying that the page want away and can not be returned to even though it was not saved. We were making changes to the settings, now I assume those changes are gone, replaced by the defaults. (and no I do not remember all of what we changed) Time and effort were taken to write the code to create the page so somewhere it was thought to be important enough to do so. Why not force the Admin to press save to accept the defaults and only then let the page expire. I know, preaching to the choir, guess I need to figure out how to put in a feature request / bug report.