file sharing: within university and with other universities

file sharing: within university and with other universities

by Ashley Bakelmun -
Number of replies: 2

Hi - I'm looking for advice on Moodle capabilities for one of my university courses. Each semester, my class compiles a set of PDF documents from various cities around the world. I'm looking for two functions:

1. Within the course each semester: Create an easy online upload for all PDFs to be accessed by course members.

2. Ongoing database of PDFs:  After each semester, we'd like to upload the PDFs into a folder/database that is continually growing each year. Within it, we will categorise PDFs by city/region, and it should be accessible outside of our university - to share our knowledge collection with other universities/programs.

Do you have any thoughts on the best way to do this within Moodle? Thanks for your ideas!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ashley Bakelmun

Re: file sharing: within university and with other universities

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Ashley

You may want to give the Database activity a try. To keep it going you can export at the end of the semester and then import those entries into the next semester.

Happy Moodling!

In reply to Kim Salinas

Re: file sharing: within university and with other universities

by C Schipper -

Unfortunately, the Database activity doesn't export files. Then you'd have to make a course backup of just the database, include the enrolled users and then restore into the other course.

An alternative would be the Student folder plugin. At the end of the year, you can just download it to a .zip file and upload it as a regular folder on your other course.

If you trust your students with being able to edit other students' contributions, you can also just use a regular Moodle folder resource and change the permissions to allow students to edit it.