Bulk Enrollment of existing users on moodle 3.1

Bulk Enrollment of existing users on moodle 3.1

by eric w -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone,

I am a new junior moodle administrator, and was hoping to get some help with the following problem:

- My organization is using moodle 3.1, and openID Connect module for authentication with office 365.

- Educational Support Department has created a course for staff Professional Development, and has asked me to do a mass enrollment of all staff members into into this one course using a csv file.

- All staff already have an existing account in the moodle server.

-------------------------
questions:
-------------------------
- What are the risks of doing this? What could go wrong?

- what is the format of the csv file? are there required fields?

- DO I need to install a mod for this?

Thanks for any help smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to eric w

Re: Bulk Enrollment of existing users on moodle 3.1

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Upload_users

Although, it's a bit of a read so something like (an example)...

username, course1, role1
tom, fancycourse, student
dick, fancycourse, student
harry, fancycourse, student

first row are headers and *must* look like that. Then on each row, the username as already existing in Moodle, the **short name** of the course (from the course settings) and the role you want to assign (probably student). 

Use LibreOffice to create the file (not Excel). Excel is a terrible trouble maker wink

If they already exist, make sure you change the option to update existing users not add new ones.

That's it.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Howard, you say: 

Use LibreOffice to create the file (not Excel). Excel is a terrible trouble maker

Is that because the file is encoded in the ANSI format rather that the UTF-8 format? I can't recall the last time I used Excel for creating a csv file, but I do recall the I opened it in my preferred text editor to edit, then saved it in the UTF-8 format. It worked as it should have. Would that make any difference perhaps? 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The file needs to be UTF8. That seems a bit too complicated for Microsoft. 

All I can say is that I have never had an encoding issue with files produced by Libre Office. The best plan is to first save in the native format and then re-save as CSV. Do that after any change. Guaranteed correct file. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by eric w -

Thanks Howard! 

I will give this a try.  I really appreciate your help. smile