Change text in the Course Admin nav panel

Change text in the Course Admin nav panel

by Duren Thompson -
Number of replies: 5

I am running Moodle 3.1.1 Build 20160908 and the UIKit theme, with very few modifications (nearly new 'out of the box').

I am a course designer and multi-course Moodle manager with full admin privileges who has inherited the job of administering a Moodle server (running several instances) when the previous admin left. In short, I am learning on the job as fast as I can, but DO NOT have any training or experience in SQL or programming for Moodle. [*If* the problem is big enough, I can spend $ to hire a Moodle programmer/sysadmin to fix it, but I am supposed to solve the small stuff myself.]

I am TRYING to make a simple instance-wide change to the wording in all Course Administration navigation panels. I want the word Grades *in that panel for every course* to say "Transcript."  Everything I have read seems to indicate that I can do this by editing the text via Advanced Features >Language plugin >Language customization.

My problem is, I don't know where, in Moodle, this text lives in order to edit it. I HAVE tried selecting ALL components from the list in the customization screen, and searching for strings containing Grades. I have changed ALL instances of the stand alone word Grades available to me via that search. Resulting in NO change in the Text in the course administration panel.  [I have changed the words Grades in *several* other places successfully, so I am sure I am simply not getting to the right place somehow..)

Can any one assist me in locating that SPECIFIC component/string and changing the text  for all courses?  OR, If I am going at this problem the wrong way, provide me with instructions for making this change?

I feel that this should be an easy and simple thing...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Duren Thompson

Re: Change text in the Course Admin nav panel

by Robert Brenstein -
Have you cleared the Moodle server and local browser caches after saving the changes? Until you do that, you will continue to see the old entries.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Duren,

You can change the word 'Grades' in Site administration > Language > Language customisation by selecting component moodle.php and entering grades as string identifier.

You will probably find though that the word 'Grades' is changed elsewhere too, such as in the Site administration.

For future reference, you can find out the component and string identifier for any word or phrase you wish to change by enabling 'Show origin of language strings' as mentioned in the documentation Language customisation.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Duren Thompson -

Thank you Helen, that was exactly what I needed. And when I pulled up that string, I found my change to transcript just sitting there, NOT applied.  I had forgotten there was a need to NOT ONLY apply/save the change but them ALSO apply all changes to Language Module.

I knew this was supposed to be simple - and that the fix would be something easy (at least I had hoped so).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Duren Thompson -

Not that I seemed to need it for this change, but how does one reset the Moodle cache? I certainly know how to do so for browsers (and I know how to reboot my servers) but resetting the Moodle cache is something neither I or my "learned Moodle on the fly" previous administrator had ever done.

In reply to Duren Thompson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you enter 'cache' in the Site administration search box (often the easiest way to find a site administration setting, since there are so many!) then one of the results you'll obtain is 'Purge all caches'.