Preferred Language option into add /edit user page is NO MORE visible in Moodle3.1

Preferred Language option into add /edit user page is NO MORE visible in Moodle3.1

by Nitin Jain -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

we have recently upgraded a moodle2.8x site to 3.1.1+. Everything went pretty smoothly..

But i noticed that preferred language option is no more available inside edit profile page. we tried to edit the profile /edit the user via Admin, and via user login itself.. but its not visible.

we have 5 languages installed in our site, and language menu, translations are working absolutely ok.

this option used to be available in my moodle2.8x. I tried to search forums and according to this moodle doc (3.1): https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Add_a_new_user this option should still be there..

i checked many settings, permissions, etc., but didn't find the cause. I also tried with a fresh install on my machine, added language packs etc., but still that option is not available..

Can anyone please help if i am making any mistakes?

Thanks in advance

Nitin

Attachment add-user.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nitin Jain

Re: Preferred Language option into add /edit user page is NO MORE visible in Moodle3.1

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you click on a student's profile and then click Preferences (or if, for yourself, you go to the user menu top right and then click Preferences) you can set the Preferred language there. I've just changed the documentation; thanks for pointing it out.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Preferred Language option into add /edit user page is NO MORE visible in Moodle3.1

by Nitin Jain -

Hi Mary,

This was really quick.. I appreciate it..

this really helped.. BUT when i log in as an admin and check user profile, then i can see "Administration Box" in it and it has preferences link as well.. see the attached screenshot "profile-from-admin.png"

profile-from-admin

But when i log in as user itself, and view my profile, then i don't see the "Administration Box" in it, i also don't have preferences link. see the screenshot "profile-from-self.jpg"

profile-from-self

Please advise..

In reply to Nitin Jain

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

When you log in as a regular user, you click on the user menu and you choose Preferences from the user menu -it takes you straight there.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nitin Jain -

oh okay.. actually we have disabled this drop down into our theme and that's why we couldn't see it..

is there any other place where this link is visible to user?

In reply to Nitin Jain

by Mary Cooch -

I don't think so - I have only looked for it there myself.