Documentation BEFORE installation

Documentation BEFORE installation

by Anne Sophie VANDAMME -
Number of replies: 6
Hello,
I am struggling to find a document that would cover all the questions to be raised before going into installation concerning the usage, functionalities, customization... (not concerning requirement of system, this i found already easily). I am no IT, and I have a client who want to install an educational web platform. So i imagine that they need to define a bunch of criteria before going into installation,.
There must be something in the Documentation but i did not find.
Thanks for your help,
Anne Sophie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anne Sophie VANDAMME

Re: Documentation BEFORE installation

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There might be... but if you don't tell us in detail what you need to know we can't really help. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Anne Sophie VANDAMME -

I'm developping e-learning health content for an organisation who will open a platform for adolescents / schools / communities / they want to advocate also so it would be quite opened.

I was thinking that moodle would be great but my experience of moodle is on the student side.

So i am wondering what we have to think of before getting into installing a moodle platform in terms of project. It is a non profit project, so we are trying to find how to develop this on our own. As an instructional designer, i am quite interested in knowing better this side of the job (i've never uploaded a course, no have i administrered an educational platform). 

I imagine that before installing you need to know what features you want to use, define some specific information on how it is going to be used. I thought what you want to do with it, would change the way you need to install it. 

So i was looking for a pre-installing check list on questions you might have to ask yourself when thinking of developing a moodle platform.

I don't know if my explanation makes things clearer. I can find an IT to help us installing, so i think the technical part will be ok.

Thanks for your help.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You'd be far better just getting a small account on the Moodle Cloud and trying it for yourself. Nothing beats a bit of real experience. 

If you have some budget for this it would be a really good idea to speak to a Moodle Partner. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The installation does not change - you install and then you customize to your requirements.  Either play with Moodle cloud or set up an installation somewhere and start playing.  You are better of to get moodle installed, decide what you want to do with it and then read the documentation for each feature that you are looking for.  If you can't figure it out, post to the forums and we will assist you.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

As another suggestion, albeit often more technical, is to install a local copy of moodle on your personal computer using MAMP, XAMPP, or other variations.  This is not good for "production", but great for experimenting and learning.  

All of these alternative ways of learning is one great reason to select Moodle.  Cannot do this as easily or comprehensively with other alternative.