Accessing all my questions at the same place.

Accessing all my questions at the same place.

by Jf Joubert -
Number of replies: 6

I often use and re-use questions, add information across different courses.

However, it seems I am stuck uploading copies of my questions for each course I teach. This means that whenever I modify a question, the feedback, the answer... it is only for that specific course.

How can I manage all my questions to be in the same location, i.e. have only one copy of them ?

Thank you for your time,

jf

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jf Joubert

Re: Accessing all my questions at the same place.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Place all your questions in a question bank at a higher level. For instance you could put them at the System > Default for System level. Of course at that level, every teacher can get to them, so you might not want to place them there.

Personally, since all the courses I was involved in before retiring were in a main category of, Technology Education,  with multiple subcategories and courses, I placed all my questions in the category, Default for Technology Education. That way they were available in every course I taught and since I was the only Technology teacher, no one else could "mess" with them.

If you decide to go this route, you should be able to select all the questions in a current category and move them to your new category. CAVEAT: I set mine up so long ago I can't remember for sure if questions being used in a quiz can be moved, or not, so you might have to delete quizzes, move the questions, then rebuild the quiz.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Jf Joubert -

Thank you for the reply...

Yes, that's what I used to do... but now... it seems like the default is to upload to a specific course.
It seems like the "default for system" category isn't really for the whole system... weird sad

In reply to Jf Joubert

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yeah, I see the same "problem" of imported questions being placed where I don't want them to go. The two solutions that work for me to get them to the location/category I want, is to go to the location where I want them, then enter the edit mode for categories. Using the arrows, you can make the new question category move to where you want it. Or 2, you can also click the edit icon for the category that is in the wrong place so that you enter edit mode for it. Then select the Parent category of where you want it to be. When you save the changes the category will relocate, along with the questions in that category.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Jf Joubert -

Oh!
I see what you mean...
At the "Home" level I see I can import questions... I'M going to try importing from there to see if it works!

Thanks a bunch!

jf

In reply to AL Rachels

by Jf Joubert -

Aaaand no that didn't work... sad

It uploaded the questions to something called Front page...
It's as if the "system wasn't shared"...

Thanks anyway smile

In reply to Jf Joubert

by AL Rachels -

If you can get them to "Front Page", then you can go to Categories and move them from there, to System, like I mentioned before.