"Show one section per page" hides labels

"Show one section per page" hides labels

by Fidel Leon -
Number of replies: 4

Moodle 3.1.2 (Build 20160912). "More" theme.

I have a course which is using the "Show one section per page" setting.

When this is set, students (and the teacher if in Turn editing off), are not shown some resources.

When in Editing mode on, this is the content (enabling the File and "APUNTES" label doesn't make a difference):

And this is what students see:

When switching to "Show all sections on one page", that's what the students see:

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fidel Leon

Re: "Show one section per page" hides labels

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Could you try to replicate this on one of our demo sites -for example the empty sandbox site demo.moodle.net or the School demo on school.demo.moodle.net?

I tried adding a label to a course with show one section per page on the School demo site - here is a course already set up to show only one section per page http://school.demo.moodle.net/course/view.php?id=37 You can log in with the username manager and password moodle to edit it.

A label worked as I expected it to for a student - it was hidden at first and then when they clicked to go intothat particular section, the label was visible.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Fidel Leon -

Thanks for your reply! We have tried a little bit with the sandbox and:

-If the course is in "Single page for all sections" format, everything is shown.

-If the course is in "Each section in its page" *AND* looking at the full course (not from a section URL), the items are not shown.

-If the course is in "Each section in its page" *AND* we open a section link (or click the section name), the items are shown.

Well, it seems to break my former experience Osmile Has this changed between Moodle versions? I don't remember 2.9 or 3.0 doing that - and I'd like to warn my teachers smile

In reply to Fidel Leon

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't think anything has changed, but perhaps someone else can confirm or deny either way? smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jutta Wagner -

I've been using one topic/section per page on and off in my courses for about a year and a half, including practice courses in Teaching with Moodle in january 2015 and january 2016, so I've seen it in 2.9 (or was it 2.8?) and 3.0 as well as in 3.1. I'm not exactly sure about having used it in 1.9 so I can't say how it behaved there.

In my experience this setting

• shows only section titles and topic/section descriptions on the course's front page - descriptions only when they are put directly into the section's description box with "show on course page" ticked.
  • hides every other resource and activity including labels until you click on that section to open it.
  • shows you the number of different kinds of resources and activities in that section, but labels are not included in that preview count.

So if you put your section descriptions or some links or ... into labels they will only be shown to students when they click on the section name to open the section. This didn't start with 3.1 but a lot earlier.

When you are in editing mode as a teacher moodle lets you see the whole course on one page anyway - probably to make it easier to move items between section.

Hope this helps.