New install - what versions

New install - what versions

by Nigel Hoath -
Number of replies: 3

Hi.  We are about to create a CENTOS Moodle installation.  We have been testing so far on Windows using Moodle 3.1

If we want to stick with that release of Moodle are there any thoughts on versions of MySQL and PHP?

The only plug in is the local plugin for LTi.  The rest is fairly straightforward, dozens of SCORMs offered to several thousand users, all via LTi.  (This is not an academic environment so very simple structures).

We'd like to be fairly leading edge but not bleeding edge cool

Any thoughts or pointers to how best make the decision.  Obviously if testing reveals issues we wil have to adjust but a good first stab would be useful.

Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nigel Hoath

Re: New install - what versions

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Obviously, this is my personal opinion for whatever that's worth.

If the plugin works well with PHP 7.0, I'd use that. Performance of PHP 7 is much better than 5.

I also lean to MariaDB 10.1. 

In reply to Nigel Hoath

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

+ 1 to what Bret has shared ... and ditto ... 

Will take it a bit further forward .... CentOS 7, under a virtual?   16 Gig Mem min, 4 cores, 1TB data drive/partition for moodledata and backups stored locally. immediately tweak MariaDB for anticipated # users (serveral means?), immediately tweak Apache as well.  Moodle 3.1 for LTS and new features like search and unoconv?   Then know, one needs about 600M of space just for minimal LibreOffice install + JRE

Bleeding edge eventually becomes leading edge ... sorta.

And ... that's my 2 cents. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Nigel Hoath -

Bret and Ken many many thanks.  That has given us some good input. 

We are fairly new to Moodle but for 25 years we have been load testers so we will certainly do performance testing under load.  But it sure saves time getting a heads up based on experience.

Cheers and a great weekend to you both.