Difficulty installing a plug-in on my home system.

Difficulty installing a plug-in on my home system.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 17

Here is my error when I drag a zip to the field:

Validating format_topcoll ... Error
  [Error] Required Moodle version [2016052300.00]
Installation aborted due to validation failure

Same results for more than one attempt and more than one plug-in.
(report_editdates and Format_topcoll_module)

This is on my 3.0.4 moodle.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: Difficulty installing a plug-in on my home system.

by Just H -

Make sure you get the correct version of the plugin for your Moodle - basically the error is telling you that your version of Moodle is too old for that version of the plugin (the plugin is looking for Moodle 3.1 I believe).

In reply to Just H

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I have Moodle 3.0.3 running. 
The University has it installed on a 2.7 system although it is not fully functional.

I will check these versions.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

A note from my system admin,....
I hope this makes sense to someone,.....
I tried to change to be more readabler but maybe font size is no longer an option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s throwing a internal error 

GET /moodle/report/editdates/index.php?id=703&activitytype=assign HTTP/1.1” 500

It appears to have installed correctly 

[XXX@moodle3 ~]$ ll /var/www/html/moodle/report/editdates

total 84

drwxrwxrwx 2 1005 1005  4096 Jul  5 15:03 blocks

drwxrwxrwx 3 1005 1005  4096 Jul  5 15:03 classes

drwxrwxrwx 2 1005 1005  4096 Jul  5 15:03 db

-rw-rw-rw- 1 1005 1005 15383 Jul  5 15:03 form.php

-rw-rw-rw- 1 1005 1005  9420 Jul  5 15:03 index.php

drwxrwxrwx 2 1005 1005  4096 Jul  5 15:03 internaldoc

drwxrwxrwx 3 1005 1005  4096 Jul  5 15:03 lang

-rw-rw-rw- 1 1005 1005 16362 Jul  5 15:03 lib.php

drwxrwxrwx 2 1005 1005  4096 Jul  5 15:03 mod

-rw-rw-rw- 1 1005 1005   692 Jul  5 15:03 README.txt

-rw-rw-rw- 1 1005 1005    75 Jul  5 15:03 styles.css

drwxrwxrwx 3 1005 1005  4096 Jul  5 15:03 tests

-rw-rw-rw- 1 1005 1005  1169 Jul  5 15:03 version.php

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You need the message from the web server's error log (that's from the access log). It will help if you enable Debugging.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I will have to look for the log file but in the mean time, here is what I get with the debugger on:

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

We are both quite new at looking into the guts of Moodle.  Is there a specific log you wish to see?  Can you direct me to where they should be?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Without knowing what the OS is, not really. On Ubuntu, for example, you'd be looking for /var/log/apache2/error.log

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I am not sure but I think I smutched up this discussion.

There are two situations using the same plug in.  It looks as if I placed both in this thread.

The entry with "This is throwing an internal error" applies to the Moodle on the University system where the plugin loaded but is not working.  That system is presently 2.9.1 and will soon be 3.0.4v.

The second one is where I have my home system (v3.0.3) and the plugin will not load. This one is the Debugger report shown.

Maybe I should just dump this one and start two specific/separate threads.

I am such a ditz...

Mea Culpa.....

by Howard Miller -

Let's keep going, the debugging process is the same. 

Just a note... "will not load" doesn't mean anything. Please describe the exact circumstances (if you haven't already)

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

On the home system, I am running Unix.
You are right, "will not load" is not a good choice of words.  EditDates "will not install" is more like it.

Here is the screen shot again:

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Steve,

Either one, "will not load" or "will not install" is due to incorrect write permission for the location the plugin needs to be installed in.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

In the number of attempts to install the plugin, I do not recall a single report that said that I did not have permission to do so.  I  am the only one to use the Moodle for course design and someone else is the only one to set up the Moodle on the UNIX server, is there any way to grant both of us global permission for everything? If so how?

by Howard Miller -

You could always install it the "old fashioned" way. I never use the built in installer as I'm not happy to make my Moodle code writeable to the web server.

Download the plugin, unzip it and copy it to your reports folder (/usr/share/moodle/report it looks like), rename its folder to 'editdates' if you need to and visit Site administration > Notifications. 

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Interesting about the font sizes here.  I am copying the text in to this text box but see no option to change the text size.  I guess square-root, omega (What ever that is) and some symbol that looks like an ear are all more important than changing font.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just tried the old fashioned method and received the following:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134,217,728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 89 bytes) in /usr/share/moodle/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 1084

My one man IT fixed the memory allocation then I now have:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /usr/share/moodle/lib/pear/HTML/Common.php on line 0

We are working this one but maybe someone can interpret this in the mean time if/when we probably won't.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Ok, I just tried the EditDates on a course with about 50 assignments and it worked.  My present course has almost three times that in assignments.  Now it times out in 3 minutes or so.

I see the same error except that the line number reported changes.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /usr/share/moodle/lib/pear/HTML/Common.php on line 0.

Thoughts appreciated....

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

UPDATE:

Since, on my home system, I went to a course with far fewer entries and saw that it work yet failed for the larger course, I went to the University system and tried the same test.  Same results, the larger course failed yet the smaller course from last year worked.  This tells me that the plug in is working for both systems.

Is there some timeout or number-of-entries limit that can be changed?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry I was not more clear. As Howard mentions, it is your web server, not you, that has to have write permission when using the automatic installer. Not sure what server you're using, but for example, on my Centos server, I use apache, as my web server and it has to have write permissions throughout any part of the Moodle code directory where I might expect to install any plugins using the automatic installer.