Moodle quizzes in English and Spanish

Moodle quizzes in English and Spanish

by Pat Zick -
Number of replies: 5

We have 3 different courses on our moodle account.  We would like to provide one of these courses in Spanish in addition to English. I see Espanol language pack is available.   If I install this, will it be available as a language option on all 3 courses?  Can I designate on only one of the courses?

We want to be able to provide quizzes in both English and Spanish.  If a student just changes their language option to Espanol, will those quizzes show in that language or only the default of English?  If default of English, is it possible to also provide them in Espanol, and the test results?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pat Zick

Re: Moodle quizzes in English and Spanish

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You have a number of alternatives. There is a dedicated forum for this, the Languages forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=43. You see detailed pointers only when you write a new discussion: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?forum=26. Alternatively, you can request the moderator to move this discussion to the Languages forum.
In reply to Pat Zick

Svar: Moodle quizzes in English and Spanish

by Simon Heissler -

have a look at multilang filter https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Multi-language_content_filter. (Language pack has to be installed, Multilang filter has to be enabled by admin, all content has to be created in both languages). We use the filter in some courses (blocks, pages, assignments) and that works fine but I have never used it in a quiz. Another option would be seperate quizzes/course for the different languages

In reply to Simon Heissler

Re: Svar: Moodle quizzes in English and Spanish

by Pat Zick -

Thank you for your response.  Once this language pack and filter is enabled, the other 2 courses on this site will not be affected unless someone selects the Spanish language option, correct?  What we are doing is meant for just one of the courses.  

We are recreating all the up-loadable documents in Spanish and will add those to the site. Someone else is creating those since I do not know Spanish.  I was hoping we would not have to re-create the quizzes but it sounds like we will. 

I'm kind of stumbling through this - not a Moodle expert.  I appreciate your help.

In reply to Pat Zick

Re: Svar: Moodle quizzes in English and Spanish

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you use the multilang filter (I'd recommend the multilang2 filter from the plugins database - its a bit better than the standard one), the only time any changes will be seen by the user is if 1. content is provided in both languages in the multilang format AND 2. the user selects the second language. It may not require 'recreating' as much as translating within the existing questions - so the entire question and quiz structures don't need recreating from scratch.

The separate language documents as file uploads could be made available/hidden using another plugin which allows conditional access based on language

Richard