Excluding restricted items

Excluding restricted items

by Anna Krassa -
Number of replies: 12
Hello everyone,

It has been some time I am trying to find a suitable setting for graded items that are restricted.

In a course module we have:

Activity 1a

OR

Activity 1b

AND

Activity 2

Activities 1a - 1b are restricted to each other. If student takes 1a, the 1b will hide and vise versa.

Activity 1 (a OR b) worth 50%

Activity 2 worth 50% as well.

So if student Z gains full marks in Activity 1a and Activity 2 the total score of the module should be 100%.

If student Z gains full marks in Activity 1a but not take Activity 2 the module total should be 50% too.

The problem here is that in gradebook if I exclude empty grades I get the correct total as far it concerns 1a - 1b, but wrong total as far it concerns Activity 1 and 2.

Doesn't sound reasonable graded activities that are restricted to be automatically excluded from gradebook aggregations?

As there is a setting in gradebook to hide hidden items from the gradebook, shouldn't be a setting to exclude hidden items from aggregation?

Exclude empty grades is not the same with exclude hidden (restricted) items.

In the above example if student X takes only Activity 1a, Activities 1b and Activity 2 are treated the same from the system, while they are not. Activity 1b is hidden due to course restrictions (users can take either 1a either 1b) and Activity 2 is an empty grade.

Calculations is the only option I see here, yet not my favourite. I would appreciate if anyone has a better idea.

smile

kan

In reply to Anna Krassa

Re: Excluding restricted items

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Under Course Grade Settings.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Anna Krassa -

Hello Emma,

Thank you for your reply, but the setting doesn't meet the needs of the above scenario.

Because if we include the hidden items in calculations the aggregation goes like this:

Activity 1(a) 50% + Activity 1(b) 50% + Activity 2 50%

while the course is setup to

[Activity 1(a) or Activity 1(b)] 50% + Activity 2 50%

The division must be to /2 not to /3 items...

I know it's confusing, don't know how to explain this better sad

In reply to Anna Krassa

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you have these in a separate category, you can create a custom calculation for the category.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Anna Krassa -

Indeed that is a by-pass solution, still not the best option. In fact that's what we can now achieve with calculations.

But imagine you have a 10 modules in a course like the above, or a gamified course with some mandatory and multiple optional activities... gradebook will look quite confusing.

Wouldn't be nice to see the gradebook automatically adjusting to what a student actually takes?
thoughtful

Thank you again Emma for your contribution here. I do appreciate your feedback.

smile

PS. Perhaps I should suggest it as project in the next Moodle Users Association cycle! wink

In reply to Anna Krassa

by Emma Richardson -

Yes, you should!  I would be happy to help with requirements.  I think we really need to look at a more student centered moodle overall with individualized learning plans.

In reply to Anna Krassa

by Ben Haensel -

Have there been any developments with being able to automatically exclude restricted items in the gradebook? I've setup tasks to auto-exclude activities based on group/grouping relationships with insert SQL code, yet it would be best to have it setup differently where event listeners can be tied in for the sake of integrations and other logic.

If there is some momentum somewhere with auto-excluding based on restrictions, please let me know! I would love to help offer suggestions for articulating that change.

In reply to Ben Haensel

by Anna Krassa -

Hello Ben,

Good to know that there are others facing the same challenge. I had suggested it in Moodle Users Association but to be honest I hadn't worked enough on it, so it had no luck.

Perhaps we can try again together in the next development cycle? thoughtful

In reply to Anna Krassa

by Sonya de Jager -

Hi everyone!

Is there somewhere we can vote for this?  We've been sending out grade reports for the past year based on the assumption that Moodle's gradebook is calculating grades according to which activities the student was expected to complete.  We restrict various activities in each course - with visibility hidden - depending on the student's enrollment group (Part-Time / Full-Time).

It's worrying to think that students have been graded zeros for assignments they could not even see!

Could someone explain how to use grade calculations to ignore assignments that are restricted by groups?

Many thanks!

Sonya

In reply to Sonya de Jager

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

One workaround for you to test, even not ideal.

1. 'Add category' for each restriction group.

2. Make Each category total =100

3. Hide 'Course total'

Then, your student will only see their own group's total and it makes up to 100!

Note: You can name every Category with the same name, or leave it empty (by entering a blank space), then your student won't feel upset by seeing other groups names.

Ideally, Moodle should ignore empty grads by Restriction group, let's vote for it.

In reply to William Lu

by William Lu -

You can also use the 'Highest grade', then you don't have to hide the Total.

In reply to William Lu

by William Lu -

Tried the 3rd setting:

Make sure you have ticked the 'Exclude empty grade'

Then, the Course total' only count student works for their own groups. (but you may have to manauly enter '0' for some students who really didn't submit their wotks at all)