Moodle documentation: Participant User Documentation

Moodle documentation: Participant User Documentation

by Warren Cole -
Number of replies: 38
Is there participant documentation on how to use Moodle or has someone developed an orientation or "participant boot camp" on their site which could be used as a model?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Warren Cole

Re: Moodle documentation: Participant User Documentation

by David Butt -
I think some form of documentation on how to use moodle would be useful I'm quite willing to create some screen grabs and instructions, but first I need to learn how to usr it my self
In reply to Warren Cole

by Norbert Kaspar -
Hello. I would also like to know if a moodle user manual exists or a tutoral website. If none exists, would anyone be intested in developing a user manual or website tutorial as a group project?
Have a good one.
In reply to Norbert Kaspar

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Nothing yet. There is only the (brief) teacher manual and the help buttons.

Any contributions in this area will be very welcome!

by Sean Keogh -
I have started to develop a "Using Moodle - For Students" course...*within* moodle...the idea being that, as it is a guest-level course, the only thing that they need to know how to do at first is click a couple of links. This leads them into the first set of instructions, and they are taught how to navigate around a course. Once they know about that, they can then take the rest of the course, which introduces the various resource and activity types, explains what they are for, and how to use them, then presents an example of each one for the student to play with.

Once I've got this done I'll start on a "Using Moodle - for teachers" course.

I'm contributing these to the project once they are done. Assuming that Martin thinks they are good enough, and assuming that we get a course backup and restore tool to enable distribution of the things. wink

I'm trying to keep each part of the course as generic as possible, so that it can be easily fitted in to anyone's site without the need for too much modification.

Translations will be required of course, once the tutorial courses have been completed, whoever writes the actual tutorials.

Sean K
In reply to Sean Keogh

by John Gone -
Hello Sean, I'm interested in helping out with the new user help documentation. I'm a new user myself but I can help out by documenting & passing along what I've learned so far. I'd encourage all other Moodlers to help where they can. Moodle is excellent, as we all know, and very easy to use if you know a few basics. If we were to add all we've learned individually to a big help file I'm sure it would save admins and visitors to our sites a lot of time and effort. I'm uploading a file that I direct new users to. I've placed a link on the first page and first course (social format) so thay see something like this:

Is this your first visit to this site? Please read this first.

Hopefully they click the link and are taken to the "logininfo.html" file and carefully read everything there, then print the page and come back to the home page to start the login/registration process. Initial feedback has been positive. Users have a printed page to refer to and a place to record their details. As you'll see if you view the file it's nothing more than the info on the login page but the explanation and spaces for recording details seems to instill confidence or something, I dunno? This link appears first in a course I'm building called "A good place to start" titled such so that it will always appear at the top of the page. Maybe our efforts are being duplicated. Collaboration possible? I'll help where I can. John
In reply to John Gone

by Sean Keogh -
Hi John,

If you want to take a look at what I've done so far (and Martin too, and anyone else in the moodle community, if you are interested) then moodle over to http://www.oxilp.ac.uk/elearning and take a look in the moodle tutorials category and the "Moodle for Students" course. You can log in as a guest but please don't actually put any content in the forums, assignments or so on at the moment. And please bear in mind that this is a work in progress. The enrolment key you'll need is "antipodes"

The screen shots that I am using have all been taken from a previous incarnation of this site. I guess that if people want to customise the course, they can do screenshots of their own site and insert them.
In reply to Sean Keogh

by John Gone -
Hello Sean, I have just gone through your "Moodle for Students" course. It is obvious you have put a substantial amount of time and effort into this excellent resource. This is the standard that we should attempt to equal in all our efforts. Your attention to detail exhibits a high level of respect for Moodle and for the people visiting your site. Thank you for allowing us to view your site. The rest of your site is also impressive.
If there's anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask.
Everyone reading Sean's post would be encouraged to take him up on his offer to view the site and see what is possible...
Thanks again, John
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Great work! approve

I'll have a longer look tomorrow after I get some sleep, but I agree with John - excellent stuff!
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Sean Keogh -
Thanks! To both of you smile

As I said, it's a work in progress...due to meetings and other stuff involving budgets for the next academic year, as well as other IT support and development work, I've been too busy to do anything on it for about two weeks, but I'm hoping to get back to work on it next week.

I stole your description of moodle, Martin, as I couldn't think of anything which described it better wink

Sean K

by Sean Keogh -
I've just been having a quick look through...I've found some great typos...they *will* be fixed, when I have to time to sit down with the course for more than five minutes.
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Norbert Kaspar -
I have not had a chance to look through the course yet, but what a good idea. It is possible to transfer a course done on one server to another server? If so, would you be open to the idea of sharing / selling / ... this course for others to adapt and use?
We now have one school course running on our moodle server and have put together a little booklet that gives our students enought information to find their way into the course and start using it. The booklet is written specific to the course, but is really a general introduction on using Moodle.
I am talking the liberty of attaching a pdf copy of the booklet . If anyone would like a copy of the file in Word format so that you can modify it to your needs, I would gladly send it along.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks, Norbert. Looks like it could be very useful! I'm sure there'll be people who'd like to see the Word source - perhaps you could post a link to it on your site.

Course transferring is unfortunately not possible yet but is one of the top priorities.

by Norbert Kaspar -
If anyone would like a Word copy of the Student Resource Manual, you can download a copy from:
http://www.des.prn.bc.ca/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=178
It is a Word 2001 document. If you need this file in another format or version of Word, please contact me @: nkaspar@prn.bc.ca

by John Gone -
Hello Norbert,
Excellent resource!
&nbsp This will be the foundation of my introductory material with minimal changes. Great job on the GUI graphics. The entire document is straight ahead and crystal clear in it's details. The Word format was very useful. Thanks a million Norbert
John Captain
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
In reply to John Gone

by Norbert Kaspar -
Hello John. You are most welcome. I am glad it was of use.
Norbert Kaspar

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

Nice manual!

Mind if I use it and translate some of its content to norwegian? I'll put the product here when it's finished. (Though it would not help you much if you don't speak norwegian...)

In reply to Stig Bjarne Haugen

by Norbert Kaspar -
Hello Stig. Please feel free to make use of it in any way you can. As you can see there is a Word version available on our server. If you have any suggestions for improvement, I would love to hear them.

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

Thanks! A great manual!

Here are some suggestions to improvement to the tutorial:

- Use the "logininfo" that John Captain (thank you) provided to this forum. It helps the students to find back to the site. (My experience is that some of my users mix between username and password in Moodle and their email, and also misunderstand the enrolement key.

- Maybe the students would be interested in what Moodle is? I added a small section with some basic information. (Of course, you can also give this information to your students later, ie. when the course starts.)

- I have a section about first time log-in. You don't need that since you enrol them "from the inside". How does that work? A lot of work? Do you provide email adresses? (I'm curious because at my university college we discuss this problem now in front of next semester.)

- Another of my experiences is that the students (in my case: both university college professors and students) don't quite understand the menus in the system, ie. those to the left. I added some screenshots and explained them.

- More important to me is the activities and the resources. I added a section with illustrated help to these.

- I don't know which laws people out there have to deal with, but in many cases the log in Moodle will have to deal with laws. In Norway, all universities and university colleges have a common agreement with the "Datatilsynet" who set some rules tu us about information. (They have a set of strict rulse about electronical (and manual) logs.) Because of this, we have to inform the students about this logs before they start to use the system, and I added a section about this in the manual.

I will leave a copy of it here in Word format when it's finished; maybe soon. Even though it's in norwegian, the images may show how I'm thinking...wink.gif

Again, thank you for your help!

by Norbert Kaspar -
Hello Stig. Thank you for the feedback. Looking over your suggestions, I think that I will make use of them in the next revision.
To answer your question, I create the log ons for my students because it gives me control over the process and eliminates one more point at which students can experience problems. I also provide email addresses for them if they are needed (I have my own mail server). So far, I have found this the best way to register students in my course because it allows me to do the entire registration process at once (we have to register them elsewhere at the same time) and simplifies the process for our students. It is more work though.

by Paula Edmiston -
Thank you very much for creating this wonderful manual. As I read through with a student's perspective I find a greater understanding of how to shape my classes and how to create materials. This is so wonderful. Thanks very much for this terrific document!
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Norbert Kaspar -
Hello Sean. I tried getting into your intro course today but could not do so without an enrollement key. Has this changed - your course intro says that you don't need one. I logged in as a guest. Have I missed something? TIA for your help with this.
Norbert Kaspar

by Sean Keogh -
Hi Norbert,

The course intro is correct.....once the course is completed. However I didn't want the students rampaging around in there until I had finished it, hence the enrolment key of "antipodes", as mentioned further up in this thread.

It does actually say "This course is currently under construction and will be opened up once it is ready to be viewed." at the bottom of the intro.

Anyway, take a look. I'm hoping to do some more work on it this coming week.

The plan is that once the course is completed (and hopefully the "Moodle for teachers" one as well), I'm going to donate them to the project, assuming that you folks (and Martin) think they are good enough, and I'll maintain them after that to keep in step with changes to moodle.
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

Really nice course! If you don't mind, I'll use your standard and translate it to norwegian and offer it to employees and students at Nesna University College in Norway. Of course; it need some changes, but you really have a good start! I'm teaching Moodle for alle employees and students here, and have made a similar page in norwegian.

I also added an offline assignment where every single teacher/professor/whatever have to make their own Moodle site, which I evaluate and grade it passed or failed. Those who fail have to fix their site until they pass. This way the University College check that every teacher/professor really is able to use this tool (which they have to).

by Sean Keogh -
Please go ahead and grab what you need.

And thanks for the nice comments smile

I'll be working on it a lot more in the coming two weeks, as all our students will be on Easter break and so I will have a little more time.
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -
Thanks! Nice comments when deserved! wink.gif I'm working (and using) a similar site, but I guess it's not as easy for you to grab anything from it since it's in norwegian... But later (I guess May) I'm gonna put a summary in english here somewhere about my experiences, difficulties and how I tried to solve them; both the student course and the teacher course.
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Paula Edmiston -
This is a masterpiece, beautifully organized and the illustrations are so helpful and clear. This is truly a fabulous creation.

Thank you so very much. As with the web page and pdf that were made by John Captain and Norbert Caspar, I am learning a tremendous amount about how to structure classes from your work.
In reply to Paula Edmiston

by Sean Keogh -
Now you're making me blush blush

Thank you for the kind words, but you should be thanking Martin for writing such a great piece of software, and the other coding wizards that are producing enhancements...me, I'm just a sysadmin and BOFH that can sometimes write.

Please take whatever you need from my course for your own site.

I'm hoping to get the rest of the basic sections finished during the next 10 days or so.

Sean K
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Nicholas Cutajar -

Hi Sean

I' m getting a "forbidden error" when I try to access the site.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /elearning/ on this server.

Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.27 Server at www.oxilp.ac.uk Port 80
Nicholas Cutajar
In reply to Nicholas Cutajar

by Sean Keogh -
Hi Nicholas,

The course moved to a new server several months ago.  Take a look at http://elearning.oxilp.ac.uk instead...

Sean K
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Joe Griffin -
Excellent stuff. Mind if I let some of my colleagues at UL have the url and access code?

Joe
In reply to Sean Keogh

by John Hobson -

Sean

This is excellent (but you might want to know that the graphic links are all showing as little red xs this morning!)

Do I understand correctly that you don't object if I shamelessly plagiarise your efforts here? big grin

If so I don't suppose you have a back up that would make such pilfering even easier do you wink

Regards

John

In reply to John Hobson

by John Hobson -

My reference to the graphic links should refer specifically to the user registration page - other pages are OK!

J

In reply to John Hobson

by Przemyslaw Stencel -

I don't suppose you have a back up that would make such pilfering even easier do you

I'll leave the other questions for Sean to answer, but regarding this one: have a look at the Moodle Exchange course. I believe a backup of Sean's course is available there.

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by John Hobson -

I thought there was something like that but I searched for "Moodle Exchange" for 20 minutes before posting that , getting nowhere!!!

I have now found it - It's a course not a forum isn't it- duh! smile 

Thanks

J

In reply to John Gone

by Paula Edmiston -
Thanks so very much for this marvelous introduciton to registration. I'm going to immediately and brazenly copy a big chunk (and will credit you too!)
In reply to Warren Cole

by Paula Edmiston -
I've worked up a handout for students in my class, A Teachers Guide to the Internet. It's still a little rough, but almost ready for public consumption. I'd appreciate any comments anyone has the time to make.

http://matrixmagic.com/cweb
Open the category "Site Dev" and enter the class "Experimental Class".

There are two formats of the student manual, one is MS Word, at about 250K and one is pdf at an awful 430K. I'm puzzled by how much bigger the pdf is. There are a number of images in it, maybe that's the problem.
In reply to Paula Edmiston

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

Nice manual!

Mind if I use it and translate some of its content to norwegian? I'll put the product here when it's finished. (Though it would not help you much if you don't speak norwegian...)