Brand New Theme Feature: Personalized Recommended Course Slider based on tags

Brand New Theme Feature: Personalized Recommended Course Slider based on tags

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This is truly a testament to the open source community, the spirit of Moodle, and the great folks here in the forums.  Over the past couple of days, Richard Oelmann and myself have been brainstorming and perfecting some pretty exciting new features for themes and Moodle.  Our first project was the Radial Course Completion and Total Grade displays which generates a very visual representation for the students.

This latest endeavor revolves around matching profile tags (interests) with course tags and displaying the results in a beautiful slider.  Introducing Personalized Recommended Courses.  There are many, MANY possibilities that can come from this.  Imagine matching competencies or other elements to generate personalized views for learners. All kinds of different things can be sorted and personalized for the learner.  

Not quite yet ready for release, but an overview of the work so far in the Pioneer theme and will also be a part of Flexibase.

Richard is working to make it modular so that other themers can pull out the code from Flexibase and implement it into other themes as well!  The original base code for the featured courses was taken from eGuru and enhanced in the Pioneer theme by me with some different javascript and styling.  Richard added the razzle-dazzle to personalize the displays.  All around great collaboration to pull off a useful feature for the community!

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Brand New Theme Feature: Personalized Recommended Course Slider based on tags

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Excellent!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Re: Brand New Theme Feature: Personalized Recommended Course Slider based on tags

by Chris Kenniburg -

If anyone wants to preview this awesome new feature I pushed the code up to github.

https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_pioneer

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

and https://github.com/roelmann/moodle-theme_flexibase smile

Added it there tonight - took a bit more than expected as it was clashing with the main front page carousel slider and some other css in the theme, but sorted and with options for

matching tags (frontpage & dashboard)

admin promoted (via setting) (frontpage only)

My Courses (frontpage & dashboard)

Coming soon - Courses with recent activity (front page)/My enrolled courses with recent activity (frontpage & dashhboard)

TODO - split the setting for choosing to display each option so that frontpage and dashboard can be selected independently.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Chris Kenniburg -

I am going to check out the my courses feature.  I plan on installing Flexibase because I want to see how you work the magic for my courses overview with the rollover stuff.  

Really neat stuff!  

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sooo usefull! just awesome smile

btw, in Moodle 3.1 there are new modules tags, which will probably open up the imagination to new and more cross personalizations like the above.

Which makes me rethink themes architecture... and suggest we should probably start thinking about theme sub plugins that can share functionality like this more easily  between themes, and not have each theme developer need to implement a renderer (easiest case scenario) to adopt a feature from another theme.

What do you all think?

In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That's kind of what I tried to implement in Flexibase 2 but I had to take it out of 3 because it became overly complex for so few features, but now we have at least 3 others that I've done with Chris over the last few days that I think are useful additions that people would like to see in a range of themes, so yes I will be re-visiting the idea over the next few weeks - although not immediately (I have other commitments for the next week/10 days that mean I can't tackle a big project like that immediately).

by Mihai Bojonca -
Picture of Testers

It would be great to see some of the same features in Essential ;) Especial the Radial Progress and Grade indicatior.

Awesome