Upgrading from Moodle 2.8.6 to 2.8.11+

Upgrading from Moodle 2.8.6 to 2.8.11+

by Luvin Areas -
Number of replies: 5

Hello everyone.
I do not speak English very well, so I will do my best to explain my problem.

I have installed on a shared server, Moodle 2.8.6. Two days ago, I decided to upgrade to 2.8.11+. Everything seemed fine, until I tried to log in as administrator.

My update process was as follows:

1. Download the zip file.
2. Put Moodle into maintenance mode.
3. Log in to my server, and upload the zip file.
4. Make a backup of the "moodledata" folder
5. Unzip Moodle 2.8.11+, and copy the config.php, the new moodle folder.
6. Log in to mymoodlesite.org/admin

This is where I have problems. When I try to proceed with the update, the browser screen is blank and nothing else happens.

I also tried to copy the folders "theme", "blocks" and "mod" of the old moodle folder, but without success.

I tried to return to the old moodle, but I get an error:

"ERROR !!! The code you are using is OLDER than the version That made These databases!"

I'm a little new at this. I need a lot of help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luvin Areas

Re: Upgrading from Moodle 2.8.6 to 2.8.11+

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I hope you also made a backup of the original database for the 2.8.6 before attempting upgrade.

But ... the error you are seeing now means the upgrade did take place - and the directories you copied into new code directory is the issue now.   So hope you didn't over write those directories ... theme, blocks, mod - in the new code directory.

IF you over wrote the new code directories, download the 2.8.11+ zip again locally and unzip.   Then upload (replacing) the theme,blocks, mod directories from that local unzipped 2.8.11+.    Then check ownership/permissions on all new code directories/files.   Am guessing those should match the owerships/permissions settings of the moodleold code directory.

If you had any addons - ie, theme, mod, block - that was not part of core, *copy* those themes ,mods, or blocks, to the new code directories.   Note that's *copy*.   So if you had a 'mytheme' directory in the oldcode/theme/ directory, copy **just** 'mytheme' directory to the newcodedirectory/theme/.   Same for anything in mod or blocks like that to their respective mod/block in the new code directory.

That should get your code back to where it should be.

In the config.php file of the site, add the debug lines you can find in config-dist.php to the config.php file.  There is a section in config-dist.php for debugging ... you need only those debug lines.   There is no need to restart services, one just needs to hit the site again with browser and let's see what Moodle might report.    If it shows anything, copy and paste the errors which are displayed in text to a local text editor.  Then edit the local text file to obscure anything that might be sensitive information that you shouldn't share back here - things like paths /home/[customerlogin]/blah/blah - replacing real customer name with something like [customerlogin].    Then come back here and post info.

It would help to know where hosted (you did say 'shared host') and other details like operating system and  versions of PHP and MySQL (or the DB using).

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ken Task

by Luvin Areas -

Hi Ken, thanks for you help. 

I made the corrections you told me to do.

And then again, i can breathe tranquility. Moodle is back online and running well. I appreciate your wise counsel.

The task is now, always have backups of everything.

Greetings from Costa Rica!

In reply to Luvin Areas

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Good!   Glad to hear it.   Yep ... backups are important!

So if the response was helpful, consider rating the posting that helped as 'useful'. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Albert Ramsbottom -

It would be nice if we could mark these as solved, instead of useful me thinks or as well as useful

Albert

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moderators in some forums (eg Themes) will mark some discussions as [solved] by editing the main header of the posts so it can be seen that way on the forum discussion list