Upgrade moodle from 1.9.9 to 3.0.3

Upgrade moodle from 1.9.9 to 3.0.3

by Serdar Ergen -
Number of replies: 17

Hi moodle users;

I m a new moodle user and i have a big problem  smile

I must upgrade moodle version from 1.9.9 to 3.0.3 ..  is it possible ?

My database size is nearly 1.5 Gib , if it is possible where i must start ?

Thanks a lot. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Serdar Ergen

Re: Upgrade moodle from 1.9.9 to 3.0.3

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Hi

Yes its possible

Look at my recent threads, you need to do a march from 1.9.19 >2.1.11>2.3.11>2.7>2.9 ??? not sure after this but I am planning for same upgrade for 1000 moodles smile

Albert

In reply to Serdar Ergen

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There is a lot of documentation available - start there.  Depending on whether you need to save user data and how many courses you have, it is sometimes easier just to set up a new moodle and import the courses but you cannot import the users this way.  If you need to keep your existing data, you need to go through the upgrade process. However, you can skip some of the versions that Albert mentioned.  You can actually jump all the way to 3.0 once you pass the 2.2 stage.  However, there were some pretty big changes in 2.3 and 2.7 so sometimes people prefer to do those ones separately.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Albert Ramsbottom -

"you can skip some of the versions that Albert mentioned"

How does one deal with the quiz, question and assignment upgrade and the possible conversion of the DB format

I do not believe that hyper jumping from 2.2 to 3.0 is a good idea. Depending on what how much course data there is.

albert

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Fairly sure it will all happen at once in the jump.  I have gone from 2.6 to 3.0 with no issues at all.  The docs state you can do 2.2 to 3.0 so I was going from that.  However, I did also mention the idea to include 2.3 and 2.7 in the list.

In reply to Serdar Ergen

by Guillermo Madero -

Start by making backups... one full site backup before you start doing anything, and then one after completing each stage (upgrade, jump).

Work on a local copy of your site (see about Moodle site migration), that way you'll be able to work without stress.

Do read the related upgrade documentation for each version upgrade required.

Be relaxed and be sure to have a good cup of coffee or tea smile

In reply to Guillermo Madero

Ynt: Re: Upgrade moodle from 1.9.9 to 3.0.3

by Serdar Ergen -

Hi again, thanks for your all replies. 

I have all db backups and also my machine backups with working moodle. Server that working moodle now is very old and also there are a lot of services running  so upgrade moodle on that machine is not good idea i think ?

Firstly i have installed moodle 3.0.3 to my local debian distro. My idea was export moodle from  old server after that i want to import to my local debian comp. Now i have exported db . i will try to import db ,i haven't yet . but i know that there are a lot of issues waiting me there smile

Another way  i will install moodle 1.9.9 to my local debian comp. and export data from old server and import to this comp. jump 1.9.9 to 2. X after that maybe 3. X but i m not sure where to find moodle 1.9.9 or 2.X on internet  ?

sorry my terrible english sad

In reply to Serdar Ergen

Re: Ynt: Re: Upgrade moodle from 1.9.9 to 3.0.3

by Emma Richardson -

There are several jumps that you will need to make - check the upgrade instructions which will help you through.  From 1.9 you need to go to 2.2 and then you can jump.  

There is a link to legacy releases on the right hand side of this page: https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/

In reply to Serdar Ergen

Re: Ynt: Re: Upgrade moodle from 1.9.9 to 3.0.3

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Download older versions of Moodle here (Available are from 1.9 onwards)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/moodle/files/Moodle/

if you are looking for even older versions,  then download from Moodle's website

Go to https://download.moodle.org/stable19/ (for moodle 1.9 releases)

and https://download.moodle.org/stable20/ (for version 2.0)

you can always change paremeter in the end to your requirements, for example if you want to download moodle 2.1 versions ,then change stable20 to stable21, works from as low as version 1.3 to current. 

by Usman Asar -

Guillermo, hadn't seen you on community for a VERY LONG time, so welcome back! was everything OK for your long absence?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Robert Brenstein -
With the discussion focusing on jumps above Moodle 2, let me stress that upgrading from 1.9.9 to 1.9.19 is the first and essential step. The first jump to 2.2 follows and is undisputable. Further interim jumps depend on your content -- so certain conversions are done properly.

Having said that, let me mention that in certain scenarios it is better to start with the clean current version and recreate the content rather than doing the migration. Each has its pros and cons.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Usman!

Thanks! Yes... quite some time, indeed. With lots and lots of work and with the project taking its time to take-off, but everything's been fine, thankfully.

It seems that Moodle has its ways to keep one from getting too comfortable; a few days ago I had an issue with badges and so I had to jump a bit in here to do some searching. As I finally found the problem and solved it, I returned to post about it... and well, you know the saying about old habits dying hard, I could not resist the temptation to take some time answer one or two posts big grin

Is is great to see most of you around; as I once said, this is definitely one the best communities in Internet. Really.

How have you been? I imagine that quite busy... Moodle 3 already, wow! I see that the version 3.1 Testing & QA phase started a few days ago:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=332141

Cheers!

by Usman Asar -

I am good, thanks for asking! Indeed being one of the best, if not the best community, for one can expect it to be unique for every person involved here are in some way related to Education, and one can expect the BEST from those in education.

Indeed 3.x being tested, but for me biggest change after Moodle 2 was PHP 7 compatibility since 3.0.1, making Moodle as usable on smaller hosts as it was back in the days of 1.9.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Guillermo Madero -

PHP 7? I see that Moodle 3 still uses version 5.4.4, since Moodle 2.7. So Moodle 3 should still work on small hosts, shouldn't it?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Minimum version is still 5.4.4, but there was some work done in 3.0 to make sure it was compatible with PHP7 as well Guillermo - doesn't need it, but is compatible with it (I've got 7 on my dev laptop and it does make a difference smile )

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Guillermo Madero -

Thanks Richard, it seems I need to make some time to do some catching-up  smile

by Usman Asar -

it does work, no doubts about it, but when it comes to concurrent users, then on average shared hosting accounts allocate 1GB Physical and 1GB virtual memory, and one cannot expect it to handle no more than a few users, also since moodle 2.3 DB queries increased, themes becoming bigger and more sophisticated making it run bit heavier, PHP 7 really brought down memory taken and page render time so essentially pushing newer moodle to back in time when it was as light as 1.9.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Guillermo Madero -

Thanks... really surprising! I'll keep it in mind as a customer was asking about jumping into version 3 and her hosting service is a basic one, so I don't think they'll offer PHP 7, but who knows... I'll have to check that.