Help needed with Moodle 3.1 QA testing

Help needed with Moodle 3.1 QA testing

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 42
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Moodle 3.1 is due for release in four weeks from now, so we're running another Quality Assurance (QA) testing cycle, starting today: Moodle 3.1 QA. The list of over 500 tests includes tests covering new features and improvements in Moodle 3.1.

If you'd like to have a play with Moodle 3.1 on our QA testing site and at the same time help with QA testing, please read the QA testing guide and send me a message if you'd like to be added to the testers group in the Moodle Tracker. New testers are always welcome. smile

We're aiming for a 100% pass rate of QA tests within the next three weeks, so all help is much appreciated!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Help needed with Moodle 3.1 QA testing

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Helen

If you want count me in, i'll take time to test Moodle 3.1 for the community, as I've done for 2.9 and 3.0 

Cheers (and let's gooooooooooooo)

In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

Re: Moodle 3.1 QA testing and testers group

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Luiggi and everyone who has messaged me for offering to help.

Just noting that for anyone who has helped with a previous QA cycle, you'll still be included in the testers group in the tracker, as we never remove people from the group, only add more!

In reply to Helen Foster

by Alistair Spark -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Isn't it a bit early to start QA considering the amount of features still pending integration?

In reply to Alistair Spark

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

by Alistair Spark -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Alistair Spark

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Alistair (et all),

while it's true that still there are a number of issues which code has still not landed, this is something we were discussing/evaluating last week before deciding to proceed with the 3.1 QA round.

Basically what we have done is:

1) Whenever the issues are global (not about a given plugin) (CBE issues are the main ones of this type), we have preventively failed related existing QA tests, so nobody can try them. Once the feature is complete, they will be moved back to available.

2) When the issues are confined within the limits of a plugin (say mod_feedback, or mod_lti as 2 examples of plugins having pending issues), we have allowed related QA tests to be tried. The idea is that old described behaviors should continue working in a BC way. Also, of course, if we have time... the idea is to reset them once we are feature complete, so they are re-run with the final code.

3) Apart from the two points above, that are about existing QA tests... there is a number of new tests that are being created (right now) and have not been still added to the 3.1 QA round. They describe new behaviors/features and only will be tested when we are feature complete.

Basically we were discussing if was better to delay QA start or proceed with it ASAP, knowing that some test will need to be rerun (2) and will be added later (3). And looking forward to get possible problems detected earlier (and have time to fix them), we decided that starting ASAP was the best choice, with the exception of CBE (really transversal) being preventively failed to avoid problems till completed (1).

Let's see how it goes, sure we learn from it, thanks for your collaboration!

Ciao smile

PS: Note I maybe slightly wrong/inaccurate with some of the points above, although I think that was, overall, the spirit of the decision. Sure that if any detail is wrong, somebody from HQ will clarify it soon.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Lewis Carr -

I'm in.

In reply to Lewis Carr

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Nicolas, Richard, Graham, Sasikala, Lewis and everyone who has messaged me. You should all be in the testers group in the tracker and thus see pass and fail buttons in open QA tests.

We're off to a flying start with 32 tests passed already, according to the QA testing dashboard! smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Lisa Caines -
Picture of Testers

I'll be volunteering again for testing.

Thanks

Lisa

In reply to Helen Foster

by Eduardo Rodrigues -

Hi Helen,

I would like to participate in Q&A testing. Please add me in.

Thanks

In reply to Eduardo Rodrigues

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Ahmed, Lisa, Eduardo and everyone who has messaged me. You should have all received a message from me confirming that you are in the testers group.

After just 24 hours, we have 20% of tests (107) passed. Please keep up the good work everyone!

In reply to Helen Foster

by Sébastien Mehr -

Hello Helen,

I would like to participate too if it's possible.

Seb

In reply to Sébastien Mehr

Re: 3.1 QA testing - 45% passed in two days

by Helen Foster -

According to the QA testing dashboard after two days of QA testing there are now 237 tests (45%) passed! Many thanks everyone for your efforts.

Thanks to Seb for offering to help and to those of you who have messaged me. New testers are always welcome!

In reply to Helen Foster

by Antje Ritter -

Hi Helen,

I am new to the group but experienced moodle user and administrator.

Would gladly help out testing.

Kind regards,

Antje

In reply to Antje Ritter

by Dave Hyre -

Thanks. Just send me the details when it's ready.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Jackie Toledo -

count me in, please. Thanks

In reply to Jackie Toledo

by Rajesh Taneja -

Hello Jackie and Dave,

Thanks for offering to help with QA testing. Please create an account in the Moodle Tracker and let me know your Tracker username then I can add you to the testers group.

In reply to Rajesh Taneja

by Albert Ramsbottom -

I also would like to be a moodle QA tester and perhaps I could contribute in other ways as well as I have quite a lot of performance testing experience using JMeter, Selenium etc

Username

albertramsbottom

Thanks

In reply to Helen Foster

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Helen,

Somehow I managed to cause a new error (This quiz is not currently available) while testing MDLQA-9469 sad

I wrote a  Docs page at https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/error/quiz/attempterror .

In reply to Germán Valero

by Rajesh Taneja -

Thanks for reporting this German,

I tried to reproduce the problem but it worked fine for me. 

The error message you pointed error/quiz/attempterror happens when attempt is prevented because of some condition. So surely at some point the student has no access to attempt and got the error.

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Rajesh,

I'll try to reproduce this error again in a fresh local Windows DEV server and get some screen dumps to illustrate it.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Himanshi Bhardwaj -

Please count me as well, I know it's bit late but would like to join in further testing if possible...

Username: himanshi

Thanks

In reply to Himanshi Bhardwaj

by Rajesh Taneja -

Thanks Himanshi, you should have received a message from me confirming that you are in the testers group.

In reply to Helen Foster

by nayan v -

Hi Helen,

count me in too. Thanks

In reply to Helen Foster

by Dominique-Alain Jan -
Picture of Testers

Oops,

I missed the start of QA testing this time. Luigi nudged me but I forgot. Did my bit today among what was still open and under my humble expertise.

3.1 is very soon now, thrilled to put CBT in action.

-dajan

In reply to Dominique-Alain Jan

by Rajesh Taneja -

Thanks Dominique-Alain for helping. Much appreciated smile

In reply to Dominique-Alain Jan

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry, no time for Moodle 3.1 QA testing. But i see all goes well smile

I'll certainly take time again for futur versions.

Séverin

In reply to Helen Foster

by Avi Levy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Helen,

Do you still needs a testers? if so, let me know how can we help?

In reply to Avi Levy

by Rajesh Taneja -

Thanks for offering to help with QA testing Avi,

We are almost finished with the Moodle 3.1 QA cycle. There are currently 2% QA's left

• 6 Fails
  • 6 Open (Mostly unit and acceptance tests)

Above is mostly being taken care by HQ at the moment, but if you think you can help with any of the left over issues then please feel free to do so.

Can you please message me your tracker id, so I can add you to the testers group.

In reply to Avi Levy

by Rajesh Taneja -

Thanks for offering to help with QA testing Avi.

I've added you to the testers group in the tracker, so you can now pass or fail QA tests. Hopefully the process is fully explained in http://docs.moodle.org/dev/QA_testing but if there's anything you're not sure about, please post in the Testing and QA forum.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Andy Hoang -

Hi Helen

I'd like to get involved as well! Sign me up

In reply to Andy Hoang

by Rajesh Taneja -

Thanks for offering to help with QA testing Andy. 

We recently finished the Moodle 3.1 QA cycle, so our next QA cycle won't be for a while, however you are welcome to try things out on our Moodle QA Testing site http://qa.moodle.net/ and post in the Testing and QA forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=56 about any issues you come across, or any questions you have. 

If you come across any bugs (obvious problems), please report them in the Moodle tracker.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Rajesh Taneja -

Many thanks to our QA testers for helping with the 3.1 QA testing cycle. All 530 tests are now passed! smile

Moodle 3.1rc1 has been already released. If you notice anything, then please let us know by posting in the forum

by murugan m -

M.Murugan

India.

I also want to involve in QA testing.

Please add my name also.

I have been using moodle for last four years. But I don't know from where I have start QA testing.