Link to specific slides within a SCORM activity

Link to specific slides within a SCORM activity

by Clarissa S -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, All!

Here is a quick rundown of my environment:

• Moodle:  3.03 (2015111603.00/20160314)
  • Captivate 9
  • I believe it's SCORM 1.2

This is a very general question just to see if it is possible or not.  We create our SCORM files with Adobe Captivate.  What I am looking to do is to be able to link to specific SLIDES within these files.  So if I have something like the following, would there be a way to get to a specific slide (say slide 5) within that specific activity, within that specific course:

http://randomsite.com/mod/scorm/player.php?a=167&currentorg=Course_ID1_ORG&scoid=334

Possible applications would be wanting to link to specific slides in an email, or a message within Moodle.  I have seen in our code ways to get to specific categories, courses, and activities using the id's, but I didn't see a way to get to the lower rung of the course hierarchy (the specific slides).

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clarissa S

Re: Link to specific slides within a SCORM activity

by Sam Stevens -

Perhaps I will be corrected but as far as I can see that wouldn't be possible due to the way scorm works.

When you access a scorm module moodle checks if there is any resume data for that user and goes back to their last point in the content.

So because of that you can't have different users going to different points. If they have never been in the scorm before then they will go in at the start or if they have been in before then they will resume from where they left off.

If you are doing that though will you need tracking? There might be other ways to make it some other kind of activity that you can jump to sections of. Anyone know? 

If you need tracking though you will have to split the scorm into pieces for each bit and then have them individually as an activity. Then point them to each activity.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sam Stevens

by Clarissa S -

Thanks for the response!

And that makes sense.  I wouldn't need tracking of where the users go, or anything like that.  I just need them to get to specific spots, but I don't need to remember where they left off.  I do need to track what links they clicked on to view which specific content, but I can track that from where I have linked it from (think help pages that link to specific content in a course). 

And I'm not doing any of the actual Captivate development.  I'm doing the back end of it all and the LMS developers upload the SCORM packages on their own so if it did come down to it, I could work with them in regards to breaking the packages into smaller pieces.  

In reply to Clarissa S

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you don't need the tracking data inside SCORM you should be able to publish the package as a stand-alone html package from Captivate (eg don't choose SCORM as the export format) - then upload it as a resource within your course and each page will use it's own unique url and you can link directly to an individual page within the package.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Clarissa S -

Apologies for the delayed response.  I've been out and am just now looking at this!

Thank you so much for the suggestion!  I had seen a Captivate tutorial about how to jump to specific slides in a Captivate file, but wasn't sure how to get around the SCORM aspect of it.  But this looks like it could work.  I'll do some trials and update.

Thanks!