Error 500 issue with Game plugin - SOLVED - was blank .htaccess file

Error 500 issue with Game plugin - SOLVED - was blank .htaccess file

by Derek Chaplin -
Number of replies: 7

Putting this here in case anyone else is experiencing this issue.

Here is the rough timeline of events

1. I installed the Game plugin in my Moodle 3.0.1 system. 
  2. Created a course and glossary (Tip: need to use the Entry List fomat to support categories)
  3. Created some categories in the glossary
  4. Add some entries (with assigned categories) to the glossary 
  5. Added a Crossword module, pointed to the newly created glossary, saved it.
  6. When I went to view the Crossword I got  "Error 500 - Internal server  error"
  7. Checked the server log on my host (inmotionhosting.com) and it looked like a file permission error on the view.php file
  8. Checked the file permissions - they were 664 as they are supposed to be.
  9. Finally called up InMotion support - they identified the issue after about 10 minutes.
  10. Turns out there was a .htaccess file in the same directory of my Moodle install that was blank.
  11. After renaming the file to .oldhtaccess the problem went away
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chaplin

Re: Error 500 issue with Game plugin - SOLVED - was blank .htaccess file

by Lee Estrada -

Does this plugin have any bug with moodle 3.0.2?

Tried all u said but did not work when i add game in a course.

In reply to Lee Estrada

by Derek Chaplin -

Hi Lee,

Unfortunately, since upgrading to Moodle version 3.0.2, the plugin has stopped working. I can't really say that upgrading Moodle is the issue since we just upgraded our hosting package from a shared server to a virtual private server (VPS).

I haven't had time to debug it yet.

cheers

Derek

by Lee Estrada -

Okay but it worked with moodle version 3.0.0 on my test server. Can this be fix anytime soon or should i revert back to the version that is working with this plugin.

Thanks for the reply.

In reply to Lee Estrada

by Derek Chaplin -

Hi Lee,

I've found the issue, I think. It seems that it is a File Permissions error. When I checked the error logs in my hosting cPanel, I saw several error messages:

1. The first was ... Directory "/home/xxxxx/public_html/moodle/mod/game" is writeable by others... The permissions were 777. Changing them to 755 (like all the other modules) fixed that error.
  2. After fix 1, the next error was ...File "/home/xxxxx/public_html/moodle/mod/game/view.php" is writeable by others...; the permissions were 666. Changing them to 644 fixed that error
  3. After fix 2, the next error was ...File "/home/xxxxx/public_html/moodle/mod/game/attempt.php" is writeable by others...; the permissions were 666. Changing them to 644 fixed that error
After fixing these 3 errors the Games modules worked fine. This might be a bug so I'm informing the developer.

I'm not sure this will affect all Moodle installation but it started happening to me after upgrading from a Shared server to a Virtual Private Server. I'm running on PHP 5.6.

cheers,

Derek

by Jacques LeCavalier -

Hello!

I just installed the excellent Game module in a Moodle 3.0.2 site, and I got the Error 500 as well.

Can this only be solved by changing file permissions in the cpanel as described here, or will there be a fix to the plugin that will take care of it? (I'm not really comfortable playing with the file permissions...).

Thanks.
Jacques

In reply to Jacques LeCavalier

Re: Re: Error 500 issue with Game plugin - SOLVED - was blank .htaccess file

by Vasilis Daloukas -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I've just upload version 2016043101 that sets the correct permissions to files.
Please try it and tell me if works or not.
In reply to Vasilis Daloukas

Re: Re: Error 500 issue with Game plugin - SOLVED - was blank .htaccess file

by Sheena dhir -

The 500 internal server error runs on every page of your site when there’s a problem with the server or file system that’s powering your site. The cause most likely occurs in the root directory, where your moodle files are, but it can also be caused by a problem on your host’s server.