Putting this here in case anyone else is experiencing this issue.
Here is the rough timeline of events
- I installed the Game plugin in my Moodle 3.0.1 system.
- Created a course and glossary (Tip: need to use the Entry List fomat to support categories)
- Created some categories in the glossary
- Add some entries (with assigned categories) to the glossary
- Added a Crossword module, pointed to the newly created glossary, saved it.
- When I went to view the Crossword I got "Error 500 - Internal server error"
- Checked the server log on my host (inmotionhosting.com) and it looked like a file permission error on the view.php file
- Checked the file permissions - they were 664 as they are supposed to be.
- Finally called up InMotion support - they identified the issue after about 10 minutes.
- Turns out there was a .htaccess file in the same directory of my Moodle install that was blank.
- After renaming the file to .oldhtaccess the problem went away