Blank page encountered on attempting to use install.php

Blank page encountered on attempting to use install.php

by Michael DeVane -
Number of replies: 10
Issue: When I go to the subdomain.com/moodle/install.php url, the page in the browser comes up blank.

Environment:
On Bluehost hosting environment (Linux)
Main domain: www.bcsavteachers.net with old version (2.0.2) of Moodle in moodle directory within main directory
Subdomain: www.mddtest.net. This points to the directory mddtest under the root directory of www.bcsavteachers.net. There is a moodle directory under mddtest with the newest version (3.0.1).
Apache2.2.31
PHP5.4.24
MySQL5.5.42
I changed the mddtest.net/config.php file per the instructions in the comments.

Is there any other information that you may need to understand the issue of why I am getting a blank install.php on the browser instead of the expected install?

Thank You!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael DeVane

Re: Blank page encountered on attempting to use install.php

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Curl test/browser test at mddtest.net site is returning error 500's which are not very informative but does indicate there is mis-config somewhere.

At the site URL given, there is a wordpress on-top of the moodle.   Is the wordpress using anything to control/deny access to subdirectories under it?

So you've manually created a config.php file from a copy of config-dist.php of the package.   That correct?   Are ownerships/permissions on the config.php file you've created from config-dist.php file correct?  config.php file in new site must be at least readable by all.   When manually creating that file it is often forgotten to change ownerships/permissions to all that.

In the moodle directory of mddtest.net there is a config-dist.php file that contains lines for turning on debugging.   Add those  lines to config.php and see what Moodle might report.

Comparison of the setup/config of existing/working 2.0.2 site with the new non-working site might provide some clues for ya - such things as paths to data directory, and other config.php file lines

If Bluehost (am assuming shared hosting package) uses things like suphp then checking it's error logs might provide a clue.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is this a fresh install or an upgrade?  What version of Moodle? 

Blank page normally points to two possibilities - if an upgrade, delete your cache folders in the moodledata folder.  If a fresh install, this is often coming from php problem.  Check that you have your htaccess file configured properly - I am presuming that you need that with this host.

Emma

by Ken Task -

By chance are you using Bluehost MOJO Market Place to install Moodle?

Bluehost has help, but they provide no help.   It appears they think
their MOJO Market Place installers are flawless cause the only thing
one can find in their help for Moodle says this:

"Problem:

Installing the advertised plugins

Solution:

After logging into your Bluehost cpanel, click on the Plugins & Extensions icon under the category "MOJO Marketing". From there you may select the plugin you want to install and click on Install button to begin installing it. Refer to the developer's website for specific product details and support."

Ref:
https://my.bluehost.com/hosting/help/171

First of all, have never considered any CMS/LMS or other such 'application' to be what Bluehost is calling a 'plugin'. 

So it's their installer, but they point you to 'developer's web site' for support!!!! ... these community forums.

What assistance do they provide customers?  How much did they charge you for the usage
of 'MOJO Market Place'?   Whatever it was, it was too much.

Please, NO Bluehost user come to their defense here.  It's high time these providers take some responsibility.   If anyone comes to their defense,  feel free to take full control of assisting Michael AND CHARGE BLUEHOST for providing such assistance.

Sorry, Michael ... other than Emma's suggestion about checking for the existence of an errant .htaccess file (which is the only other item found in their 'help'), is about the only thing I could also suggest.

BTW, Moodle doesn't normally install an .htaccess file.   Conclusion ... MOJO did it!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Michael DeVane -

Thank You both, and apologies for the delay in responding. I will follow the items you gave me and report back as soon as possible.

by Michael DeVane -
Ken,

How do I detect if WordPress would use a mechanism to grant or deny permissions to the subdirectories?

Am embarking on your other suggestions and moving forward. Thank You for your assistance!

Sincerely,
Michael

by Michael DeVane -

Ken,

I got the following error after doing what you recommended from your first message:

Fatal error: $CFG->dataroot is not configured properly, directory does not exist or is not accessible! Exiting.

I take it that dataroot is a directory, but I set dataroot up under moodle, and it still came up with the same error message. Thoughts?

Thank You,

Michael

by Ken Task -

So Bluehost has no answers for you ... the customer?!!!   Why am I not surprised.

First, I do NOT host anything with Bluehost.   I do NOT, therefore, have any first hand knowledge about their systems ... nor MOJO.

Second ... me thinks the MOJO 'plugin' installer installed moodle incorrectly for you.

Moodledocs quote:

"Securing moodledata in a web directory

If you are using a hosted site and you have no option but to place 'moodledata' in a web accessible directory. You may be able to secure it by creating an .htaccess file in the 'moodledata' directory. This does not work on all systems - see your host/administrator. Create a file called .htaccess containing only the following lines:

order deny,allow
deny from all

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Installing_Moodle#Create_the_.28moodledata.29_data_directory

Where did MOJO install it?  Was there/is there an .htaccess file in the moodledata directory?

So we are trying a different angle now and asking about WordPress ... installed by MOJO?

What do Bluehost FAQ's/Customer docs say about WordPress?   This community is about Moodle.

Did you open a ticket with BlueHost?

https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/ticket

If I sound to be of no help ... it's cause I can't be ... given the situation.   Can't do Vulcan Mind Melds with Bluehost servers!

Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Michael DeVane -
That being the case, I will use my main domain directory to upgrade to the latest version of Moodle. I will backup the previous Moodle setup and start fresh. Even without the backup, there isn't that much that I need to keep as it was only a demo anyhow. Hopefully, this will give me a better footing on which to work.
In reply to Ken Task

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have worked with a few sites on Bluehost and have actually found them to be extremely helpful - I have had sites with php issues and they have got me up and running pretty quickly.

If this is a dev site, I suggest getting rid of it, and installing fresh without the mojo installer.  Before you start, create a moodledata folder that you can point your moodle installer to and make sure it is accessible.

Bluehost, unless you are installing directly in the html folder also makes use of .htaccess files (a primary cause of the dreaded blank white page after installation).  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Michael DeVane -

Thank You, Emma. I will try that and see how things progress.