Installation of Moodle on a stand alone PC

Installation of Moodle on a stand alone PC

by Salvatore DeMaio -
Number of replies: 24

I am trying to install Moodle, can I install it on a stand alone PC and if yes how do I get started?  Which version should I load?  Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Salvatore DeMaio

Re: Installation of Moodle on a stand alone PC

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can - for your own use and/or evaluation. If you intend for other people to access it, while not impossible, it's less of a sensible idea. 

The first thing we need to know is what operating system are you running. If it's Windows then there are installers here - https://download.moodle.org/windows/.  Again, this is not intended for 'production' use, just for trying it out. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Salvatore DeMaio -

Thank you for responding.  I am running windows 7 32 bit, do I need a live internet connection once Moodle is up and running.  It is going to be used on an intranet.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As Howard said, running it for your own benefit is quite easy, making it available to others is a little more involved. Could you expand on who will be accessing it and from where (i.e. only from within your network or outside your network)

In reply to Marcus Green

by Salvatore DeMaio -

Between 300-500 people will require access(accounts) on the LMS eventually.  The  users will be accessing it from within our network only.  I do have a server that I can load Windows server 2008 R2.  Thank you

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

if you are testing noodle, then setting up Windows installer package will be good enough, but for intranet access and you mentioned using Server 2008 R2, I will not recommend using the windows installer package as it will be with Apache server setup, where Apache doesn't shows good performance on windows platform as when on Linux. Rather setup IIS.

by Usman Asar -

No you dont need internet to use moodle, and can be accessed on intranet without issues. but when comes to check for updates for moodle, then yes you will.

by Salvatore DeMaio -

What is the minimum requirement for a windows server to run moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.0_release_notes#Server_requirements

The "minimum" requirements are not great. What you actually should ideally have to run a successful site for your users is another matter. And, unfortunately, very difficult to answer. Moodle, generally speaking, scales very easily by adding extra hardware though. Watch out for cheap+nasty VMs that can have serious performance issues.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Howard

You wrote:
> The "minimum" requirements are not great.

And you call fall any lower!
wink

by Usman Asar -

Just make sure you're using 32-bit version of the Windows, as on 64-bit it does seems to show some issues, and for version, use any, though latest will keep you updated.

In reply to Usman Asar

Usman

You said:
> make sure you're using 32-bit version of the Windows, as on 64-bit it does seems to show some issues,

That is interesting. Not that I use Windows, may be that explains the 3% of Moodle servers running IIS: "Most popular HTTPd" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=323104.
wink
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Usman Asar -

Visvanath, I was referring to the windows installer package that comes with Apache, not IIS as I have tested 64-bit PHP on IIS and it worked flawless where support for 64-bit version was limited until PHP 5.6 and coming fully supported in 7.0.

I had been reading through that post you linked since it started, not that enforcing IIS being better moodle platform than LAMP stack, but because I am way more comfortable with WIMP than LAMP/LEMP so I'll be setting up mine of Windows platform surely, and for limited number of IIS installations, there are plenty factors like licensing costs where you have to buy server license plus CALs (Client Access License) for every user utilizing servers and in a university environment where clients can be in thousands you can expect the cost of ownership going up that is why where all the servers are setup on linux, firing up IIS wont be considerable choice.

In reply to Usman Asar

Usman, thanks for the details!

Just one thing. You said:
> ... for limited number of IIS installations, there are plenty factors like licensing costs where you have to buy server license plus CALs (Client Access License) for every user utilizing servers and in a university environment where clients can be in thousands you can expect the cost of ownership going up that is why where all the servers are setup on linux, firing up IIS wont be considerable choice.

The license costs and the hassle are surely a reasons for many. But for me the technical superiority of Linux is _the_ reason. And this is one of the exceptions where quality wins (over marketing and other money power). I do not plan to side-track, just to stress that when one talks of reasons, to keep in mint "for whom?"

To those who want to stay with Microsoft: You can go to them - and get Linux-certified!
http://insights.dice.com/2015/12/10/microsoft-offers-linux-certification-yes-really/
(found in http://linux.slashdot.org/story/15/12/10/1929215/microsoft-offers-linux-certification-yes-really)
wink
In reply to Usman Asar

by Salvatore DeMaio -

I have Server 2003 R2 32 bit installed and want to know which version of Moodle should I install or does it matter.

by Usman Asar -

Salvatore,

it does not matter which version, but IIS this old will require setting up of slasharguments as it's not required in newer IIS's, you can find whole set up here

https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Internet_Information_Services

In reply to Usman Asar

by Salvatore DeMaio -

according to the install instructions on the moodle site it wants me to copy down moodle and place in my web server documents directory, so ineed to install IIS 1st, is that correct.

by Usman Asar -

Yes, a web server is required to Run Moodle (or any website so to speak)

2003 R2 came with IIS 6.5 (as I remember), pretty stable but not a performing server, can you be able to update/upgrade to a newer version like Server 2012/R2? as since Server 2008, IIS has really started showing performance and security features.

Also, you need to know, if you have installed any other application making use of port 80, that will make a conflict, so a clean install is required. Like Apache if installed would have claimed port 80, Skype does that also SQL Server reporting services makes use of Port 80 too.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Salvatore DeMaio -

I have IIS installed and I placed the moodle folder in c:\inet\wwwroot, is this correct.  Also how do I secure the moodle files in server 2003 ? instructions show how to in linux.  what is my next step?

by Usman Asar -

Salvatore, yes this is correct, and you dont have to do a lot in terms of securing IIS, it already comes secured out of the box.

if you can wait just for a day or two, as I am in process of creating a video tutorial from scratch that will show how to setup Moodle on Windows Server 2012R2 using IIS, that will solve most of your issues and will assist you in setting up server as well.  Just remind me in 2 days about the link.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Salvatore DeMaio -

Thank you for your help.  After my initial install (testing) on Windows server 2003.   I will install it on a production server 2008.    I will look forward to the video.  Thanks again.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Salvatore DeMaio -

Hello Usman,

Do you have the link to the video?  Thank you.

by Usman Asar -
Salvatore, it will be tonight, as I was waiting for release of Moodle 3.0.1 for being fully tested for PHP 7.0 and it released today, as I will as well cover installation of PHP Manager, an extension of IIS that will make your job of managing PHP a lot easier.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Salvatore DeMaio -
Thank you, I await the video and thank you

by Usman Asar -

Thanks for your patience, to get whole tutorial click HERE.