Windows Server Install

Windows Server Install

by Jason Touw -
Number of replies: 13

After a very long time of waiting for my own Moodle Server, our school district has built a 2012 Windows Server and essentially "handed me the keys."  I am a long time Moodle user (10+ years) but have never worked on the Admin side because the hosting was outsourced.  This is good and bad!  I have the server, but the install is up to me.  We have what I believe to be all of the necessary software components in place, so now where?

1.  I tried the package download of 3.0 from the Moodle.org website.

2.  This is what I get:

And after a few seconds, the command prompt disappears.

Am I using the correct install link?

What is our server still missing?

Thank you!  If there is someone that believes a walk through over the phone would be better than a long typed email (if this is a big fix), let me know and we can approach it that way.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Touw

Re: Windows Server Install

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You have no say on the choice of the operating system? I ask, because Moodle system admin support is stronger on the Linux front.
In reply to Jason Touw

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Usman should be able to help you...he is our resident Windows expert!! 

In reply to Jason Touw

by Jason Touw -

I did figure out that port 80 was not free, but now I am stuck....

And then this prompt....

In reply to Jason Touw

by Just H -

Not into Windows personally but you shouldn't be using XAMPP for a live install.

If they gave you a Windows server chances are it's IIS (confirm with them) in which case have a read through here first then start here for the actual Moodle install.

In reply to Jason Touw

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Jason, Stop right here, you'll kill the resources in no time using XAMPP package on windows platform.

The package you downloaded is based on Apache, and Apache's performance on Windows is not as good as you can expect from a good web serve,r XAMPP is for development purposes and not for production. This package you downloaded will work as a service and not application, so you can expect 1/3rd of performance that your actual hardware can give.

I'll tell you step by step how to install Moodle manually on WIMP, so you'll get the IIS as web server and database of your choice (MySQL, MariaDB, MS-SQL Server or PostGres).

Now, as I see screenshots you're using Server 2012 R2 (not just Server 2012) as both have different versions of IIS (8.5 and 8.0 respectively), while you've paid for a stable web server already, why to use Apache.

Which database you intend to use? Though there is choice of MS-SQL as well using express edition, but that is limited to 10G database (which is hard to reach even on a huge site), I'll recommend using MariaDB though.

anyway, steps that you'll be taking to setup Servers and Moodle

1: Install VC++, and version depends upon which PHP you're using.

2: Install IIS using server manager, dont just check everything to be installed, go with defaults but do check "CGI" as optional requirements.

3: Download PHP package and Database - You'll be installing database but you dont need to install PHP (just unzipping will work)

4: Enter path to unzipped PHP folder in "environmental variables"

5: Once IIS is installed, setup PHP to be used in IIS

6: additional permissions are to be given to web directory path with user "IIS_USR" --> that user is part of Server.

7: do check your PHP working fine by creating a test php page

8: download and unzip moodle package. ---> you may have to create moodledata folder manually.

Everything should work as it should on managed host from this point.

I know its hard to follow by just reading steps, if you're still having trouble, then let me know, I'll setup a brand new installation of Windows Server 2012 and show you how to setup server and install moodle using screencast.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

jtouw

by Jason Touw -

We do actually have C++, SQL, and IIS installed. I guess I am confused with the moodle download page. Which link should I actually be using for windows, and then what are the steps? Moodle does not appear to have a self install wizard.

You can see our server is up: http://moodle.wvcsd.org

We actually spoke in a previous post about a month ago and I forwarded your recommendations on how to build the server to our tech team. Now I was handed the server and I need to install the moodle component.

Thanks!

In reply to Jason Touw

Re: jtouw

by Usman Asar -

Jason, I do remember you'd asked for assistance mentioning that your company can finally afford to have in-house server, there are two ways effectively installing moodle on Windows and IIS.

One is manual that I mentioned above, and then comes automated using WPI (Web Platform Installer) that comes as a part of IIS and does brings with it plenty of scripts/packages to be installed automatically, all underlying requirements are as well automatically installed with it, though Moodle as well is available in WPI, but I wont recommend installing from there, instead do Moodle install manually, but you can go ahead installing PHP and WinCache (should you need it) else Zend OpCache comes as a part of PHP 5.5 and 5.6.

Regarding installing which package, you can download any (version is dependent on you) from https://download.moodle.org/, just moodle is around 45MB zipped and opens up to become 150MB folder, else the one you downloaded earlier is ALL-IN-ONE package for testing environments that is I think 150MB zipped and opens up to hold 450MB of data that includes PHP, Moodle, MySQL, and Apache.

I had another look at your screens and found HeidiSQL seems like you've already installed mariaDB being better choice than choosing MySQL. if you're stuck at any point, give a shout and should need be, I'll do the screencast starting from scratch.

Once you've downloaded package, just unzip it in inetpub > wwwroot directory (assuming you're going with defaults) - remember you'll be keeping moodledata directory outside of wwwroot in inetpub directory. (also you will have to give permissions to USR_IIS (something like that) on inetpub directory with write and special permissions else it wont create moodledata directory. Once you've unzipped successfully, just point your browser to say e.g. http://localhost/moodle and it will start the wizard for installation for you.

also, it may as well ask for creating config.php file yourself (as I have seen it on windows servers and not linux) and will provide you with all information that is to be copied to that file, just copy and paste in notepad, and save that file in moodle root folder, rest it will follow wizard.

In reply to Usman Asar

Installing issue in Window server.

by Amulya Dash -
I am installing Moodle in server having following configuration

CPU - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @2.40GHz 2.40GHz (2 processors)
RAM - 5GB
HDD - 50 GB (33.6 GB Free)
OS - Window Server 2008 R2 Standard, 64bit operating system

I downloaded "MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest-30" and extracted at "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\moodle". I installed "Web Platform Installer 5.0" also.

After that when I am clicking on "Start Moodle", it is giving me the error which is attached herewith. Please guide me. It will be very helpful.

Attachment MoodleError.png
In reply to Amulya Dash

Re: Installing issue in Window server.

by Usman Asar -

Amulya,

If you'd been reading from first post, I have STRICTLY said not to use windows installer package on Windows Server platform, this package is for those who want to test out Moodle temporarily or those who actually have a production Moodle running and they create courses off-line later to upload to server.

Now let me clear to your issue. You have installed IIS that comes as a part of Server O/S, and now you are trying to run Apache that comes as a part of windows installer package, where port 80 has already been taken by your IIS.

I am in process of creating a video for Jason that shows everything to setup and install Moodle on Windows server, will be ready in a day or two as I have to address few more things in it, you can watch that and learn how to setup and install Moodle on a Windows Server using IIS.

by the way, where did you manage to get this configuration of dual 6-core hyper threaded CPU's with just 5GB RAM? and where this 5 number came from???? means you have 3 modules installed one for 4GB and 2 x 512MB's? Something's not right here buddy!

In reply to Usman Asar

by Chris Roper -

Hi Usman,

I'm also having problems installing Moodle on to Windows Server (2012) IIS 8.5.

I have tried following the above , but would be interested in your video, as I must have missed something.

Can you let me know when it is available, or if it is, where I can view it?

Thanks

In reply to Chris Roper

by Usman Asar -

Chris, just a day away, I have had knocked my hand pretty badly to use mouse for prolonged time that is why delayed a bit, I'll notify you in a day or two with completed video.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Chris Roper -

Thank you Usman,

I'm sorry to hear you have injured your hand.  I hope you get well soon.

In reply to Chris Roper

by Usman Asar -

Thanks for asking Chris, availability of video tutorial shows I am well again, click HERE to watch whole walk through, it's 30 seconds short to 1 hour.