Maintenance mode activated during quiz attempts

Maintenance mode activated during quiz attempts

by Sebastian Wz -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

(2.9.2)

does anyone know what happens if you put the site into maintenance while someone is currently in a quiz attempt?
And what if the maximum attempts are limited?

Can they just finish their attempt normally or will they get an error once they try to submit and lose their attempt?

Of course you can announce maintenance times in advance, but the larger the site the larger the risk to encounter this.
Couldn't find anything about this specifice case in the docs/forum...

best regards
Seb

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sebastian Wz

Re: Maintenance mode activated during quiz attempts

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have no idea what would happen. I suggest you try it on a test server, then tell us what happens.

If the quiz does not have a time limit, then it will probably be OK. Everything is saved as the student progresses through the quiz. They will be able to continue when the system comes out of maintenance mode. The problem will be if time expires on a quiz while the system is in maintenance mode.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

From my memory of playing with maintenance mode I would suggest nothing bad would happen if you were taking a quiz. But I recommend trying out on a test server to be certain.

In reply to Sebastian Wz

by Sebastian Wz -

Ok, I gave it a try.

When the site switches to maintenance while you're in a quiz attempt and you press submit, you're taken to the maintenance notification (as expected). If you go back to the previous page via browser arrow you can, or rather have to, retake the quiz. The timer and previously entered answers are reset.

If the site goes out of maintenance and you refresh while you're on the maintenance notification page, you're taken to the quiz review page (where you would have ended up without maintenance mode), but the timer keeps running in the meantime.

So if you only have one page in your quiz (page breaks result in the maintenance notification) and your quiz is set to auto-submit when the timer has run out, it's not a big problem.. but it's probably a good idea to add an explanation/instructions to the M-mode-notification, like..

"if you were in a quiz attempt and came to this page when you tried to submit: your progress has been saved and will be auto-submitted when the timer runs out, you may now close this tab or refresh it later..."  or something like that, just to make sure people don't panic.

regards,

Seb