OU Variable numeric set with units: Regrading issue

OU Variable numeric set with units: Regrading issue

by Toni Soto -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I've been using the Variable numeric set with units questiontype with success so far, but today I realized that I had committed a mistake in a calculated variable formula when my students had already completed the quiz.

I though that I could fix it modifying the formula (calculated variable) and then regrade the attempts as I usually do with other question types. Unfortunately regrading doesn't solve the problem because the old wrong values remains stored somewhere so old grades don't get updated. But on the other hand, if I start a new attempt it works. I mean, it will be graded (not regraded) as expected.

It seems as the set of data used for attempts already submitted can't be changed during a regrade.

Let me say that this question type is very useful once you get idea .I moved all my old questions about scientific notation, sig dig and units to this question type. But I didn't expected this inconvenient sad

Is it easy or hard to fix?

Thanks in advance to developers.

Toni Soto

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Toni Soto

Re: OU Variable numeric set with units: Regrading issue

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You are correct that it currently works this way.

When it was implemented, we did not really thing thorough this scenario (change the formula and re-grade). We probably should try to change things, but it is not very easy. The formulas can contain calls to randomisation functions.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Toni Soto -

Ok Tim,

Fortunately this only affected to 50 students (90 questions) so I can manage to review them manually and change grades. Lesson learnt!

By the way, will 'Variable numeric *' question types be added to Moodle Quiz core in version 3 too?

In reply to Toni Soto

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think it would be bad to have both qtype_calculated* and qtype_varnum* in core at the same time. And, automating the migration process would be hard. That seems to be quite a serious practical barrier to what you ask, just to start with.