Is there a quick way to Import Google Slides or Powerpoint into Lesson Module?

Is there a quick way to Import Google Slides or Powerpoint into Lesson Module?

by Jason Touw -
Number of replies: 3

I am running Moodle 2.8.  I have read that the Import Powerpoint feature was removed from the lesson module because there were bugs in it.  My powerpoints are about 30 slides each.  I want to add question pages in between my slides and have moodle track the responses and place them in the gradebook.  Is there a better way to do this import other than saving the powerpoint slides as web pages and then creating each page in the lesson module, use the insert image button, and upload each slide as an image?  Seems very time consuming.....

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Touw

Re: Is there a quick way to Import Google Slides or Powerpoint into Lesson Module?

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Jason,

I like to use the Lesson module. Usually, I prepare a presentation in Prezi and embed this in a lesson activity. Prezi allows you to upload MS Powerpoint or PDF files. I just tested it. You need to check the text on your slides after the import. How to import slides from Google Drive into Prezi is explained here: https://getsatisfaction.com/prezi/topics/can_you_upload_google_presentations_to_prezi

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jason Touw

Re: Is there a quick way to Import Google Slides or Powerpoint into Lesson Module?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Very old question about the Lesson Module with the same old answer: "No".  This really has to do with Microsoft and probably Google.  Back in the cobwebs of Moodle history, Lesson would import Titles. subtitle, and content with bullets from PowerPoint slides as text and images!   I believe the Moodle developers threw in the towel when PowerPoint changed the underlying code a couple of times, as Moodle was changing as well.

I still think a work around is to have a feature that will import a series of images in alpha file order into to a series of lesson pages.  In fact, I spent hours/days playing around with a hacked version of Moodle 1.8 on my computer to get this to work. Understand I am not a PHP programmer and tweaking the code was hardly educational smile  There were a few more tricks to get my new lesson to a 2.1 or 2.3 version of Moodle. 

But for me, I would rather take the 15 minutes of fussing to import 10 to 200 images, than inserting them one by one into a lesson page.  I even had the content experts put in questions at appropriate places in their PowerePoints (with yellow background to catch my attention), then I inserted a question page at that point and deleted the image page.  You should note that in that learning environment, having the Lesson page be an exact image of the PPT  slide was very important.

I wonder if an image importer to Lesson Pages could be an add it?   As others have pointed out, inserting a video on a Lesson page also works.

More than you wanted to know,
Chris