Apache 2.4.12

what is the suggest way to do this?
Thank you very much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Armitage Armitage

Re: moodle: moving/upgrading from 1.9 to 2.9

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
This would be a migration and an upgrade. For example, https://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Moodle_migration and https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Upgrading, or the other way around. I favour migration first because then you'll have your original installation as a back-up. Note that going from 1.9 to 2 is rough. Many have given up and either transfered course-by-course, https://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Course_backup resp. https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Course_restore, even more drastically, re-entered the courses manually. The latter have the advantage that you will make use of the new features of Moodle 2 - that is the reason why you upgrade, right?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Visvanath is correct - this is a lengthy process.  But it is also well worth the effort.  Moodle has come so far since 1.9!  If you do not need your user data, you could well be better off exporting and then importing your courses. 

If you need user data, then you will indeed need to migrate and then upgrade.  There will be a couple of upgrades that you need to go through. I also agree that migrating first is a good idea for the backup but if you have a good backup then either way will work.  Once migrated, read the 2.9 upgrade documentation carefully - it will tell you how to go through.  https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Upgrading  will get you started but make sure that you check the 2.2 upgrade process too.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Emma

`It is a lengthy process, certainly, but why do you call it well-worth?'
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-III.html
smile
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Armitage Armitage -

Hi all,

ok, so I'll migrate first to the new server and then upgrade.

I'll hope that moodle 1.9 will work on php 5.5 and Mysql 5.6!

Yes, from 1.9 to 2.9 is more than a long jump, it is a triple jump!
I don't see a reason why Moodle 1.9 shouldn't work on PHP 5.5 and MySQL 5.6. It is worth trying.

You don't have complications like code changes or plug-ins which are not supported in 2.9, right? Then might also consider upgrading the current site to 1.latest, which is 1.9.19+, first and then leaving it as the production site until you manage the other jump.

by Armitage Armitage -

Hi,

migration to new server went fine.

Where can I find instructions for upgrading from 1.9.14 to lastest 1.9 stable (1.9.19)?

Thank you very much

by Armitage Armitage -

Hi,

I just upgraded from 1.9.14 to 1.9.19 (no problem).

Now I am trying to go to 2.0.. but after upgrade process I got "error reading from database".

I used config.php from 2.0, obviously after copying relevant settings from previous config file (user, pass, host, salt and so on).

How can I solve this?

thank you!

I hope, either you have left the upgraded 1.9.19+ version intact and doing this on a copy, or you have made good backup! There is no way of undoing a crashed upgrade!

This is why I said, the jump to Moodle 2 is more than just a jump. You need to start the upgrade again and either read the suggestions others have made or read the documentation carefully and/or ask others.

by Armitage Armitage -

Hi Visvanath,

yes, of course I've full backup.

I found this error:

Default exception handler: Plugin "mod_exercise" is defective or outdated, can not continue, sorry. Debug: Plugin is not compatible with Moodle 2.x or later.\n* line 462 of /lib/upgradelib.php: plugin_defective_exception thrown\n* line 271 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()\n* line 1436 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()\n* line 311 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

Do you think that upgrade has failed due to this compatibility issue?

Thank you

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

My suggestion would be to start again.  I would uninstall all plugins for now unless they contain some vital information that you cannot afford to lose.  You can reinstall them again later.

Unless the upgrade instructions advise otherwise, I would just copy the config.php file - allows for less likelihood of typos.  From 1.9, I believe you can jump straight to 2.1...

In reply to Emma Richardson

I don't want to disturb the jump mid-air. But I thought the hop is 1.9.last > 2.2.last(?).

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I can confirm what Visvanath said: you need to jump from 1.9.last to 2.2.last and only if all the thing go fine, you can jump from 2.2.last to 2.9.last.

We did the migration one year ago jumping from 1.9 to 2.7 (30 moodle sites, and some of them are born moodle 1.4) but you need first to check that all your plugins are ready to do the jump through the two phases upgrade, Often you can disable and remove some unused plugins to simplify the upgrade, but if you have some plugins that do not have the correct counterpart in the 2.2 and 2.7 and later releases, you'll need to investigate deeply how to do for taking home your upgrade. As an example, there was an old plugin for podcasts in 1.9 that now do not exists anymore, and so there is no upgrade path; we wrote some special tricks to convert all the old type resources to a new one working at low level on the database.

Some other problems live around the questions where the lenght for some fields has changed (reduced) so the migration fails when the question text is over the field limit (tipically when a cut&paste from word was done by the teacher...); again youĺl need to crunch your database to clean-up these errors.

In my opinion there is not simple way to do the upgrade, and the success is deeply dependent on your past usage of moodle.

The upgrade can be done, but is needed a knowledge of (moodle) programming to overcome every trouble you can encounter...

Bye

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Armitage Armitage -

Hi Visvanath,

I tried upgrade from 1.9.19 to 2.0.10

Thankyou

by Armitage Armitage -

Hi Visvanath,

I'm trying upgrade from 1.9.19 to 2.2.11

I encountered some plugin "to be upgraded" (about 30 plugin).

Should I do this manually BEFORE going forward?

For plugin "missing from disk", should I simply hide/remove them?

Thank you

upgrading

Hi

The accelerated version march is not my specialty. (See my very first reply.)

I home others will take over.

by Emma Richardson -

Those are core plugins and will be upgraded automatically.  You should be able to proceed.  The missing Book has me a little concerned as this became part of core but I am not sure exactly when. 

by Emma Richardson -
Why that should be Elementary, My Dear Watson....