Upgrading from 2.4.1 to 2.9.1 and need guidance on php upgrade part

Upgrading from 2.4.1 to 2.9.1 and need guidance on php upgrade part

by Whalon Herbert -
Number of replies: 4

Greetings Moodlers:

I spent yesterday working on upgrading our prod Moodle instance from 2.3.1 to 2.4.1.  This was the first time touching the software since installing years ago.  I am running a Windows 2008 R2 server and when I installed Moodle, I used WAMP.

The upgrade to 2.4.1 was a learning experience for me somewhat, but after completing, I wanted to keep going and get on the latest version of Moodle.  After reading more documentation and checking in this forum, I felt like there weren't going to be any issues jumping versions. I missed the part about how php v5.4.4 is the required minimum for Moodle 2.9.1.  Luckily I was able to restore my work and get back 2.4.1 safely, but I do want to continue.

I could not find any good instructions on upgrading php, so I was hoping someone who has been there can provide some guidance.

I also tried to install WAMP 2.  The install completed but it wont launch and references a missing MSVCR110.dll file.  I'm looking into this now...seems I have the 2008 C++ compiler, not 2010 version. 

Thanks for your time,

Whalon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Whalon Herbert

Re: Upgrading from 2.4.1 to 2.9.1 and need guidance on php upgrade part

by Brian Lockwood -

You are correct that this issue arises because you are missing some libraries in your Windows version.

The fix is described here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

You know not to download a dll from a download site?

In reply to Brian Lockwood

by Whalon Herbert -

Brian - I was able to repair my current VC+ runtime and successfully installed WAMP2 without errors.  Since that time, i was able to upgrade moodle to 2.5.9, but that is where my php prerequisite ends.

In tracing down the WAMP2 issue, i was able to conclude that i originally used WAMPStack to install Moodle 2.3.1 years ago.  From what i can tell, upgrading WAMPStack, in place, is not straight-forward.  Any opinions on WAMPStack?

Thanks!

In reply to Whalon Herbert

by Brian Lockwood -

Wamp is a great trial device but if you are running anything live, you are at risk of losing track of the various upgrades and changes within WAMP not matching what has happened outside WAMP. Consequently, upgrade paths that assume you are not in WAMP world, may fail.

In reply to Brian Lockwood

by Whalon Herbert -

Finished -- I am proud to say that I made it though the upgrade process.  I was able to tame MySQL and work though about 10 different DROP and RENAME commands, but as soon as I finished the last one, the upgrade script finished its business. 

Just for reference, I ended up going with wampstack, not WAMP.