can we customize the Quiz activity?

can we customize the Quiz activity?

by Doug Smith -
Number of replies: 5

hello,

I would like to use the quiz activity as a type of form that students fill out. To this end, I have a few questions about Quizzes.

1. I don't need any marks or grades from it. I know I can set the marks for each question to zero but I'd rather get rid of all references to a grade or mark. What's the closest I can do for this using the quiz settings?

2. I'd really prefer to get rid of any text that uses he word "quiz". For example, things like "this is your first attempt at this quiz" appear automatically. (Not those exact words but things like it - I don't have a quiz open in front of me right now.) Is this possible? Maybe I can copy the code for a quiz into a new activity and change a fee of the words? I've never looked into editing or creating a noodle activity.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Smith

Re: can we customize the Quiz activity?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I suspect you want to use an alternative tool to the quiz. Have you looked at the plugins such as 

The survey module which is hidden by default in a new Moodle install. I don't know why it is hidden, it seems an odd thing. Also take a look at these

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_questionnaire

Or the dataform plugin

https://moodle.org/plugins/view/mod_dataform

In reply to Marcus Green

by Doug Smith -

I'll have to re-check the survey and questionaire, I've used them before but for more straight forward types of things. I'll also check out the dataform.

FWIW, I want to replicate the functionality of this form: http://greaterthanzero.ca/polls/index.php/136853?lang=en

Once a person chooses their course, the learning objectives (ie mutliple choice) show. In moodle I obviously skip the "choose your course" part.  The form consists of three text questions/answers and a file upload.

In reply to Doug Smith

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Marcus means the Feedback module (not the survey module) by the way. Although I am not sure you can upload files to it. However you can change the wording of any part of Moodle by going to Site administration >Language >Language customisation. See Language customisation

In reply to Doug Smith

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You can't upload file through Feedback nor Questionnaire. 

You can use the Standard Database activity, it is very easy to build a form with upload file feature.

Check the Database forum, and you find many tips and examples there.

HTH

In reply to Doug Smith

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

1. If you set the mark for each question to 0, and also set the maximum grade to 0 at the top of the Edit quiz page, then there should be almost no mention of grades left in the UI. (If there are, it would be helpful to see a screen-grab, because it might be a bug.)

2. Mary already mention the Language customisation docs.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)