403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden

by Chodelynn Tion -
Number of replies: 3
Good Day All, 

I'm trying to add questions and I get this error

" You don't have permission to access /question/question.php on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I'm the admin and I'm using Moodle 2.9.1

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chodelynn Tion

Re: 403 Forbidden

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think this is not a Moodle error. I think your web server is blocking these pages due to heurstics that are designed to block certain sort of URLs that look a bit like certain sorts of hack attempts against badly designed applications.

It comes up from time to time, e.g. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=107067 or https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=216970.

You need to find what spurious rule your web server has decided to apply by default, and turn it off.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Chodelynn Tion -

Thank you so much Tim. And yes mod_sec is enabled will ask our hosting to whitelist the location.

In reply to Chodelynn Tion

by Bruce Rick -

Just thought I'd add this since I just ran into it.  I kept getting this error this morning on one of the sites we were working on.  I was really getting annoyed because it was working before.  Then I did a browser inspect and realized specific files weren't getting loaded and it was crashing.  I gave it a half hour after purging my cache and everything.  I did notice at the time the site was also running slow.  This error message will come up randomly if the site is struggling.   I think my host was having issues at the time so I just waited a half hour and everything started working again.  Some times it's not actually Moodle at all, it's a server issue that you have no control over.