A simple online form which both students and lecturer can enter data, but students only see their own form.

A simple online form which both students and lecturer can enter data, but students only see their own form.

by Debbie Grace -
Number of replies: 4

A lecturer at my institution wants his students to fill in a simple form where they answer 5 questions briefly, and where he can then come in, give succint feedback for each question and a grade.  I have tried online assignment, which works reasonably well for this, except that he can't give his feedback next to each question.  Also tried quiz, and that's quite good too, but just a bit more work to give the feedback than what he was hoping for.  I tried Google forms but that didn't work for this exercise.  Also tried Wiki but that has to be either collaborative, ie. for all students and lecturer, or non-collaborative, so I don't think the lecturer could edit it is non-collaborative - ie go in and enter feedback. Collaborative won't do, as we don't want students seeing each others' work in this exercise

A good old Word document will work too, but still a few more steps than what the lecturer was hoping for, which is a link to an online form, where student clicks once to open, enters their answers, and submits; the lecturer clicks on the same link, enters his feedback next to each of their answers, and the grade, and closes, and it's there for the student to open and see feedback. Does anyone know if such a tool exists, either in Moodle, or an external tool, that we could link to?  It seems a fairly basic thing to be able to do.

Thanks for any answers that are forthcoming!

Debbie Grace

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debbie Grace

Re: A simple online form which both students and lecturer can enter data, but students only see their own form.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I see this quite a lot. What seems like a perfectly obvious activity to one person might actually - in the great scheme of things - turn out to be a very specific requirement. I have actually written plugins for things quite similar to this for client (not similar enough unfortunately) which makes me reasonably sure that general case does not exist. 

I think there are two possible solutions. Firstly, a completely standalone Moodle activity. Secondly, a new assignment type ('form' probably) for Assignment. I favour the latter myself. 

Either way, it would need specified, costed and developed. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: A simple online form which both students and lecturer can enter data, but students only see their own form.

by Debbie Grace -

Hi Howard,

Thanks so much for your reply, much appreciated.  When you say a standalone Moodle activity, were you thinking of a possible activity that is already available?  And Yes, an assignment type, that is simply a form would be great.

Cheers, Debbie

In reply to Debbie Grace

by Itamar Tzadok -

That's probably one of the simpler use cases the Dataform module is designed for (and it's already developed and available to the community via the plugin repo ... @Howard smile).

You can set the activity to Separate Participants to make it individual. You can create a structured entry form with various input field types. You can add grading and feedback fields which the instructor can edit and the student view only and place them next to the content fields. You can create designated grading view for the instructor if needed. You can set the activity grade with a formula to apply different weights to the elements in the submission. And much more.

The docs are incomplete (still waiting for the community to help with that smile) but you can find plenty of  information, illustrations, presets and Dataform enthusiasts ready to assist in the Dataform forum.

hth smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Debbie Grace -

Hi Itamar, thanks for your response, that is much appreciated.  The Dataform module does sound good, and seems to be what this lecturer wants to do.  I will check it out further, and also with my Manager.

Cheers, Debbie