Different tasks for different students.

Different tasks for different students.

by Tatiana Vaskovskaya -
Number of replies: 8

Hello.

Is there any possibility to do different tasks in a workshop? For example, a student need to draw a circle, a triangle and a rectangle. Then she has a line. And the task is to reflect the figures relative to the line. 

I would like to give different coordinates of the figures and different angles of the line. So each student will have her own task.  For gaining a skill to see symmetry, it will be very useful for a student to see different pictures when she checks others' works. 

In this example I can give a task by text. Further, I would like to have a possibility to give different pictures. 

Could you help to arrange it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tatiana Vaskovskaya

Re: Different tasks for different students.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Tatiana. I think it is possible for students to submit different work to a workshop (as long as they know the basic tasks.) What you must be clear about it when you set up the instructions for assessing so that the students all know how to accurately grade each other if they are doing different things. Also - how will each student know what to submit, or will they be allowed to choose? There is not an easy place to give individual instructions to each student in a workshop.

The other difficulty is how they are going to draw the shapes - I don't know how you can do this in the standard Moodle editor, so I will hope someone else will give you  reply for that smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tatiana Vaskovskaya -

Hello Mary.

>About how to grade. 

I suppose to give instructions like 

1. "Is the triangle, circle and rectangle are drawn by their coordinates?" Yes/no. 

2. "Are they reflected relative to the line?" Yes/no

and so on.

>How each student knows what to submit?

Here is the main problem. If I give a task: coordinates of a circle (1,1), of a rectangle (2,3), of a triangle (5,7). And a line goes from the origin by the angle of 30 degrees. 

I need to give another student the same task with some changes: coordinates of a circle (5,7), of a rectangle (1,1), of a triangle (2,3). And a line goes from the origin by the angle of 60 degrees. 

And I don't know how to give it in a such way. Further, in order to check other work a student B needs to know the task of the student A.

May be I can attach a list with 150 tasks. How I can allocate the task №138 to the student A, and the task №123 to the student B? And how the student B knows that the student A has the task №138?

The tasks are not individualized for the students. Only some conditions are. But it doesn't change, nor the main task, nor the instructions for grading.

I think that this assignment in such way will be very useful for students to see the symmetry. One picture for all won't give such effect.

>how they are going to draw the shapes

They can draw it on a sheet of paper and take a photo.

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
No, there is no in-built support for individual assignments for students.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm would a randomized quiz do this? Same question with random values inserted? I know this can be done programmatically, did it using Borland's Delphi mumbledy-mumbledy years ago , surely this could be done now in PHP as a question type?   

This is just a general comment, not a specific answer to anything, and someone more knowledgeable than I about the quiz module may be able to answer this. Given though, that Tatiana's response to Mary is to have students making a drawing on paper and upload an image of that drawing, (assuming that students are using their phones to take the image which can also be an exercise in positive use of personal technology) does it really matter if the instructions, (questions) are given via a Workshop, a single question quiz, or a small, three or four question quiz? 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Tatiana Vaskovskaya -

Hello, Colin.

The workshop allows me to arrange checking of the works by other students. Different pictures are useful for this special point, when each student sees several different pictures made by other students. Using other activity implies that I will check student works. There are 250-300 students, that's why I'm very interested in the workshop.

I think I can assign an individual number (I've found a such field in the user settings) to each student and allow students to see it. I can prepare a list of tasks for each student by individual number. 

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Ahh that reveals a bit more of the logic behind using this particular tool for this specific task. Спасибо Thanks Tatiana, this means I can use this kind of logic when discussing with reticent colleagues about why they should be using Moodle.... thoughtful

by Itamar Tzadok -

Take a look at the solution discussed in the thread Group peer review in the Dataform forum. In that solution you predefine the submission entries to the effect that you can pre-assign problems to students. The illustration is for group peer review but the solution can be set up for individual peer review. At this point the allocation for peer reviews is also predefined and manual but is not too difficult to do and should take not more than a few minutes and a few clicks, even for 250-300 students. smile