Allow students to download folder as ZIP

Allow students to download folder as ZIP

by SIMAC IT -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle 2.8.6+

Students want to be able to download an entire Folder as a ZIP file.

Teachers can do that when they edit the Folder ressource.

Can I allow the students to do this too, without giving them editing rights? Or does that require a code change?

I imagine it is (just) a matter of copying code ...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to SIMAC IT

Re: Allow students to download folder as ZIP

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Not sure why you would give editing rights to Students and the zip file is likely created as a backup. Suggest that the way to do this and keep security and allow everyone you want to download it is you create a specific zip file, with all the materials you want in it, and place it into the course for them to access. This method allows you to structure the materials in any way you like, and as long as they are readable in the end result, then it is all good. The trouble is going to come when students try to access the downloaded files using devices that are not the same the source files platform was. While this isn't as critical as it used to be, there will still be some issues. There could be other ways of doing it, but this is the safest I would think. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by SIMAC IT -

I dont want to give editing rights (I wrote so explicitly in my post), I just want students to have that little "Download all" icon in the Folder ressource.

How and when they use it is out of scope.

The students want it, so I try to give it to them.

The solution with a ZIP file in the folder is not elegant, either you loose the overview or you double the amount of storage.

In reply to SIMAC IT

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you mean a folder of resources, then if you upload it/display it as a zipped folder, they can download it as a zipped folder.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by SIMAC IT -

Then the students would Loose the overview of the folder, and they would have to download the Whole folder before they could see the contents. IMHO not elegant.

In reply to SIMAC IT

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Agreed, but elegant as opposed to workable? Sure, I would prefer something easier at times, but it is what it is...thoughtful

In reply to Colin Fraser

by SIMAC IT -

Is it really that difficult to copy the code that implements this function?

The functionality is already there (in the Edit Settings for a Folder), I just want it to appear in a different place.

My students are used to Sharepoint, where you can "Download As ZIP" almost everywhere, hence the need for this functionality.