Pagination

Pagination

by Michael Ko -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

Using Moodle 2.9, I am struggling to repaginate and reorder questions. The quiz has been attempted.

In the past, I believe this was possible, at least we could always repaginate once a quiz had been attempted.

Is this a new feature... and is there some way to work around this? 

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Ko

Re: Pagination

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you click on Edit settings in the quiz administration block and then Layout - you can repaginate there.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Michael Ko -

Thanks! We will go with that. I'm a bit confused by why the repagination is disabled on one settings page but enabled on another.

In reply to Michael Ko

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I guess this did get changed in Moodle 2.8, as an effect of changing the Edit quiz page. It was not necessarily intentional, but then it is not quite clear what the 'right' behaviour is.

1. In general we have a policy that the questions in the quiz can't be changed after a student has attempted the quiz.
  2. In the new Edit quiz page, we apply that principle consistently, and consistency is generally good for usability.
  3. (So, it is definitely bad that currently you can repaginate an attempted quiz using the form, but not on the edit quiz page.)
  4. The fact you can't edit after attempts is in part a necessary rule. Things like the quiz reports cannot work if questions have been added and removed between two different students attempting the quiz. However, repagination between attempts does not break anything like that, which is probably why it was possible in the past.

In any case, I guess the key question is: why do you want to-repaginate after some students have attempted the quiz?

Given all that, what do people think? How should this work to be most useful/understandable?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I would vote for the consistency of the current status quo. Consistency is good for usability.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joshua Bragg -

I've had to do this once.  After some students started a homework assignment quiz, I found some particularly moronic page numbering put there by a teacher not thinking carefully at the time (me!).  There were certain description boxes with instructions that were separated from the questions that they applied to.  Since it was an untimed practice assignment and I discovered it really early on AND my kids were in class with me, I deleted the three attempts that had already started and fixed it.

Interestingly, using the quiz settings page to repaginate was an option I considered but it wasn't  helpful since there were different sections of different numbers of questions that I needed to maintain.  (This was my original mistake actually... sigh.)

Fixing pagination on the fly would be nice in that rare circumstance.  But I don't think its worth sacrificing consistency.