Course migration from 2.1.2 to 2.9.1

Course migration from 2.1.2 to 2.9.1

by Nevin Reid -
Number of replies: 1
Several years ago I set up Moodle on our corporate web server for our training department to create a few online courses to complement out in-person training. They're nothing fancy, the users can enrol, go through the course and when they are done received a certificate. It's served them well.

I'm in the process of moving our web site to Rackspace from our in-house server. While I'm at it I thought that I may as well update Moddle to the latest version. Looking around I've found a link about migration procedures https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Moodle_migration, which is helpful, but it says nothing on what versions this will work for. I'm currently running 2.1.2 on a Windows 2008 server and we are going to Server 2012 with new versions of MySQL and PHP. Just to be clear, I'm not going to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.9, I want to do a completely fresh install then migrate the courses. Will this work between these versions? About a year ago I was investigating what it would take to upgrade on our current server and can recall finding a document on upgrading that said I would have to upgrade to 2.3(?) before I could move to 2.7 (the latest version at the time). I assume that had to do with changes related to updates in MySQL, perhaps.

If there are other steps involved in the migration between the versions I've mentioned here are there resources in the documentation that someone could kindly point me to?

Thanks,
Nevin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nevin Reid

Re: Course migration from 2.1.2 to 2.9.1

by Paul Verrall -

Hi Nevin,

If you are going for a fresh install and will just be creating course backups from your old site to import into the new 2.9 site you shouldn't have any issues and don't need to worry about the intermediate versions required to step though an actual site upgrade. Do make sure you have the right modules, such as certificate installed on the new site first.

Things can get a little more complicated if your courses export to massive sizes, e.g if you want to migrate 1000's of users course records and assignment submissions or if you have massive videos uploaded, due to php time restrictions and POST file size limits. I won't bog you down with unnecessary details unless you think this will be an issue.

Paul