Reality check - the strengths and weaknesses of a fresh instal of Moodle

Reality check - the strengths and weaknesses of a fresh instal of Moodle

by Greg Bird -
Number of replies: 12

Hi all,

I administer a med-large Moodle deployment on behalf of a Australian tertiary education facility.  We are a hosted environment currently on 2.6.2 with a plan to upgrade to 2.9.x by Jan 2016.

Moodle has evolved very 'organically' over the previous 5 years.  I joined the organisation this year we have been performing massive housekeeping effort.  We have identified thousands of courses and hundreds of thousands of users that are redundant and have been clogging up the system.

Moodle does a lousy job of cleaning up after itself and even deleting the users and courses is no guarantee that the logs, files and associated data are cleaned up.  

We are contemplating a clean start with Moodle 2.9, and I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone else has travelled this road ahead of us.

The idea is to  only migrate over the courses that we intend to deliver.  Leave all the users and user data behind, and import a brand new set of current students and staff.   We would keep a copy of the old system running for reporting and auditing

Has anyone attempted such a thing?  Do you have a ‘gut reaction’ it is an idea of complete folly or inspired brilliance?   Do you feel this will result in significant system improvements?

Thanks in advance, Greg

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Bird

Re: Reality check - the strengths and weaknesses of a fresh instal of Moodle

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Are you aware of the Moosh utility 

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?id=522

Have you thought about archiving old courses, e.g. finding courses where has been no activity for x amount of time (e.g. 3 years), then backing them up/restoring to an archive server or deleting or whatever?

Just to be clear when you are posting in these forums, Moodle is not lousy at anything, it is the one true marvellous way of doing everything smile

In reply to Greg Bird

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Really it's up to you... if you are coming from the perspective of wanting to do a big cleanup then is starting fresh easier than tidying up the instance you have. It depends really. I don't think we can answer that for you. 

My inclination is to suggest that a tidy up is safer/easy. 

I kind of know what you mean about Moodle cleaning up but you have to be realistic. How does moodle *know* that (for example) a course has finished and is no longer required. How does it *know* that a user has left. These are very much implementation specific requirements. If it was easy it would have been done. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"I kind of know what you mean about Moodle cleaning up but you have to be realistic. How does moodle *know* that (for example) a course has finished and is no longer required. "

This is a good question that is hard to answer. As I implied, I am considering a course to be finished if nobody has logged into it for X amount of years.

I was assuming the numbers of courses was at least many hundreds rather than the tens.

In reply to Greg Bird

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I used to do this annually almost.  I think it is a great way to clean things up.  Restoring the courses can be a pretty slow process though.

In reply to Greg Bird

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Can you give us an idea of how many courses you are talking about?  Advice may differ if you have 20 courses versus 500 courses.

Make sure to make a backup, and try restoring this backup to another location to verify that your backup is good.

When Moodle 2.0 was released, I had decided to start from scratch (for my very small moodle, around 8 courses.)  However, I made a backup of my moodle 1.9 site, and I have restored this 1.9 on my Mac in MAMP so that I still have access to all of my old course information.

I might start from scratch again when Moodle 3.0 hits us, even though 3.0 is not going to be as significant a change as 1.9 to 2.0 was.  I am planning to do this because 1) I want to get my database size small again (for backup control), and 2) to get my quiz question bank cleaned up (when you import/restore a single course, many more quiz questions are restored that will surprise you.)

In reply to Greg Bird

by David Lowe -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Greg,

I'm the administrator/developer for a med-large University here in Canada and we found that the easiest thing to do is stand up a new instance of Moodle every semester. It's very quick and easy to spawn a new instance and import the users and new courses for the semester. Each semester we have that option to use a newer version of Moodle or continue on with the current version. We have had a few occasions (in the past) where an upgrade had failed causing a massive headaches and chaos. Having a clean instance every semester cuts out all upgrading potential issues wink

Every time we stand up a new instance or have code changes we run a series of functional tests and load tests to make sure none of our custom code changes or plugins fail. Our fall semester starts in a few weeks here and will called 201503, at the same time I'll backup all the courses for our 201403 semester and make those course backups available to the Prof's. 

After a few times doing this I found my rhythm and now have a smooth clean cut server (especially the database) every semester.

Ping me anytime if you have questions smile

In reply to David Lowe

by Greg Bird -

Hi David.  Thankyou for this response and insight.  I am very interested in your approach and curious about the mechanics.

How do you migrate your courses across installs?  Do you have migration tools for this, or do you do it through a manual process of backup> download> upload > restore

What do you do with your users, and their academic data?  Do you migrate users, or create them afresh?  Do you run your reporting of prior delivery against previous intals?

Thanks in advance, Greg

In reply to Greg Bird

by Greg Bird -

Thankyou to so many of you who have replied and sorry for the delay in my own response.  For those that have asked, here are some further details about our Moodle instal.

We are currently on 2.6.2, planning to upgrade to 2.9.x in Jan 2016. We are hosted and I have no direct access to the box.

We have the accumulation of 5 years of activity in the system.  Prior to me joining these was a very 'organic' use of Moodle, that has resulted in a very messy back yard.  We have spent much of this year tidying up.

• We have over 3,000 course, only about 800 of which have had students access them this year.
  • We have over 200,000 users, only about 10% of which are current

We have to rollover our delivery at the end of the year anyway, and so wondering if it is the opportunity to 'clean slate' with a new instal.  We recognise this will be a mountain more work, so are trying to determine whether the payoff is worth it.

Here are some stats of about a month ago

-----------------------------

Inactive courses - hidden category (sites with no active students in 2015)  1,996

Total sites in 2015 category  1,161
Sites with active students (atleast one student has accessed the site this year)  759
Student seats (student/site enrolments)  50,671

Here is a look at our log tables (top 10, by size)

Size External Size
mdl_log 7725 MB 3957 MB
mdl_question_attempts 3378 MB 1106 MB
mdl_question_attempt_steps 3170 MB 1840 MB
mdl_question_attempt_step_data 2649 MB 1444 MB
mdl_files 1304 MB 756 MB
mdl_user 1084 MB 983 MB
mdl_grade_grades_history 737 MB 386 MB
mdl_course 486 MB 169 MB
mdl_message_read 335 MB 138 MB
mdl_stats_daily 298 MB 173 MB

thoughts?  I know there is a lot of "shades of grey" in this type of decision making, but could benefit from the collective wisdom of those who have travelled this road ahead of me.

Thanks again, Greg

In reply to Greg Bird

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Greg, I see that you have a big site.  I do little stuff with Moodle, so I am going to let others from big schools help you out.

In reply to Greg Bird

by Just H -

Greg, another thing to think about depending on the course contents is potential future audits. We have to keep various levels of records from 2-30 years (mixture of requirements for retaining RTO status and organisational requirements) so perhaps a rolling archive model would suit e.g. initially just move old courses to an "Archive" category but leave them on live server (to me, less work if someone needs to audit in the initial period than restoring a backup of an old course with the resulting issues if the codes changed) and then backup and archive outside Moodle in due time.

H

In reply to Just H

by Greg Bird -

Hey Just H.   I am very interested in your response.  Particularly as I note that you are from Melbourne and clearly understand VET delivery.

This enquiry is on behalf of Chisholm TAFE in Victoria.    Like you, we are maintaining an in-system archive of previous delivery for auditing and reporting.  This category is hidden from students but allows us to rapidly audit prior delivery.

It would be lovely to have a chat at some time and compare notes.  Would you be interested in this?   It may be that we already know each other, but I don't know the "Just H" moniker.

You can reach me on twitter @BirdyOz or email greg.bird@chisholm.edu.au