Can't insert images into feedback activity

Can't insert images into feedback activity

by R L -
Number of replies: 10
Hi
Using 2.6.11

When making a multiple choice question, I can't insert any images into the question. There is also no tinymce editor, or any button which says "show editing tools". Just a single line for entering the question. Everywhere I read says I should be able to insert images (and other html).

Could someone suggest what I need to do to make this happen? Thanks.

Screenshot attached.

(Edited by Helen Foster to amend the discussion title - original submission Monday, 10 August 2015, 4:40 AM. Discussion also moved into the feedback forum.)

Attachment untitled.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to R L

Re: Can't insert images into MC quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That is not the Quiz module. It looks to me like Feedback or Questionnaire. So, either you are using the wrong activity, or this thread needs to be moved to a different forum.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by R L -

Aaargh. So sorry Tim. You're right. It's the feedback activity module. I am still very new to moodle. I don't know how to move this post to the other thread, but I'm guessing someone here can?

In reply to R L

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The way to do this would be to add a label with the image and any pertinent information.  Then add the question directly below it.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by R L -

Hmmm. Is that the only way? I can't believe that there's no way to "turn on" the html editor. What version are you able to insert images in?

In reply to R L

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

None - I have used Feedback for years but never even thought of wanting an image in there.  But a label has exactly the same effect...

If you want a graded activity, use the Quiz and Multiple Choice - you can add images in it.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by R L -

Thanks Emma,

One of the things I don't like about the quiz MC is that I must put one option as the correct answer. I'm putting these questions in purely for me to get some feedback about what my students know, before the next lesson. I don't want them knowing (at that stage) whether their answer is right or wrong. I just want to be able to see myself. The feedback seems to do the job. The only issue is putting in an image.

So, you've said I can accomplish it using a label. So I went and made a label as an activity.

1) Since there's only a single text line for "label" in the feedback settings, how do I put in the label I just made? (There's no help for this)

2) The label (which of course is an image) is now cluttering up my page and will only get worse. Is there any way to store all these (image) labels somewhere out of the way?

In reply to R L

by Lesli Smith -

Hi, RL. The advantage to using feedback for a pretest type of assessment would mostly be dependent on needing a complex Likert scale set of questions that you want to analyze for patterns and export to a spreadsheet. Since this "export to spreadsheet" feature is key for most feedback use-cases, and using imagery would get in the way of the simplicity of the current feature set in getting a clean download of the data, you probably won't see a feature request to have image uploads to Feedback added in the future.

Emma is correct that you probably do actually want the quiz module. You just need to know where the switch is to turn off the feedback for right/wrong answers, if I'm understanding your previous post correctly. See the review options in the quiz settings page for where to turn off what students will see when they answer questions. One other place to tamp down what displays on the left regarding attempt information is in the actual quiz question itself. If you look at a single question in preview mode (click the spy glass icon next to the question on the edit screen, see pic here) you will also see display options below that will allow you to turn off the points display altogether.

The quiz module is actually a pretty powerful tool for doing pretests, so I think you will like it once you get it set up the way you need it set up.

Hope those two key areas to check will help you be able to set up a pretest with images.

Regards,

Lesli

Attachment Where to turn off points display in quiz attempt 2015-08-10 at 8.09.25 PM.png
In reply to Lesli Smith

by R L -

Hi Lesli

Thankyou very much for your detailed answer. That was really helpful. I have gone to setup a quiz with 2 or 3 questions. I *think* I've got things working as they should, and I'll test it tonight or tomorrow with the students. If I can't figure out why something's not doing what it should, I'll post back. Thanks again!

In reply to R L

by Emma Richardson -

You add a label as a question type in the feedback activity, not as a separate activity.