How to remove the magnifying glass (preview) in Feedback?

How to remove the magnifying glass (preview) in Feedback?

by Greg - DGV Team -
Number of replies: 5

We were wondering if the magnifying glass for feedback preview could be disabled.

We find it disturbing and fear that users click on it instead of "Answer the questions".

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg - DGV Team

Re: How to remove the magnifying glass (preview) in Feedback?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Andreas,

I agree with Greg that the Preview feature should be disabled by default for the Student role, as it can be confusing. Why not make it a capability (enabled for teacher role and disabled for Student role)?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi Greg and Joseph,

I agree too. Maybe an option in the feedback settings for that could be less expensive than a capability.

Best regards
Andreas

In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Bernadette Parry -

Hi Andreas

Has there been any progress on this? We are also finding that students click on the magnifying glass - it is much more obvious than the  'Answer the questions' link.

Kind regards, Bernadette

In reply to Greg - DGV Team

by Huw Smith -

I have been customising the feedback module myself and I have included the code below to remove the preview icon.

Open the view.php file in /moodle/mod/feedback

comment out or delete lines 138 & 139 and edit line 141 to remove $previewlnk, so it looks like this:

//$previewimg = $OUTPUT->pix_icon('t/preview', get_string('preview'));
//$previewlnk = '<a href="'.$CFG->wwwroot.'/mod/feedback/print.php?id='.$id.'">'.$previewimg.'</a>';

echo $OUTPUT->heading(format_text($feedback->name));

In reply to Huw Smith

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Huw Smith,

Of course that will remove the magnifying glass Preview icon and link from student view.

But it will also remove it from teacher view, where the Preview function is quite useful.

The real solution is to remove preview from student role only.

I hope Andreas will come up with a "clean" solution to this problem.

Joseph